Chapter XXXII: The Flower Lady

Michael couldn't care less about any of this.

A war about to break out between the two most powerful creatures in the universe? History about to repeat itself all over again? A boy with a potential to become a demon, who happened to be his Queen's own son, was let loose on Earth, looking for an identity that simply was not there. An unknown girl tagged alongside him, with a useless ability and a chicken-like personality, providing no help at all with the cause, but with strict orders from the Oracles that she must not be harmed, under no circumstances.

What has become of the World? Michael didn't give a single feather.

When he met Lailah, his whole universe went upside down, then righted itself.

His mission was crystal clear: he was to protect the Queen, no matter what. Anything that threatens their relationship must be eliminated.

Including this girl.

How dare this puny human touch his Queen when she least should? Lailah's lips were his. Lailah's body was his. Lailah's existence belonged to him.

The moment he left her with her son, the moment he turned around, all anger seemed to come back to him.

"How are we going to Fukushima? Do you have a car? " , the girl asked.

But Michael wasn't listening. He gripped Hitori's wrists in both hands, then spread his wings wide, careful not to touch any of the passersby in the Shibuya crossing. He took off abruptly, not bothering to wait for the girl to catch her breath.

He heard her screams from far far away, the ringing in his ears drowning their sound, the aching in his heart chilling his body despite the warm morning sun above the clouds.

"Wh-what are you doing! At least carry me properly!" , she shouted.

Michael ignored her.

Flying always made him feel better. The wind slapped his face, taking away his worries in a second, the pain going away instantly like a bandage being ripped off an old wound. Fast and efficient.

The girl wouldn't stop screaming, her noise starting to annoy him. He lifted her up, reluctantly carrying her in his arms like the princess she was not.

"So" , he started. "How do you feel about Noah Redwood?" This, too, was part of his orders.

Make them grow closer. Do not let fights erupt between the two teenagers. Build their mutual trust, even if it were to make you look like the evil one.

The sudden question raised instant heat to the girl's cheeks. She frowned at Michael and crossed her arms in defense.

"If you're looking for a source of conversation, you better look elsewhere" , she hissed, her voice breaking a little at the end. She turned her gaze away from him, struggling to hide her obvious discomfort at the mention of the boy.

"I can totally understand if you don't get your own feelings. Noah is also hard to figure out. "

This time, Hitori's eyes sparkled with interest.

"Did you know him before today? You speak as if you did."

Michael didn't flinch. Lying has become natural to him by now. He shook his head slowly.

"No, I only know Honoka, my one and only love."

"Liar" , she immediately replied, her brows furrowed. "You only care about Honoka, but you seem to me like the hot guy who pretends to be nice then turns out a complete douche, in cliché manga"