Chapter XIII: Trust

The boy stood on the edge of the flames, watching the girl's back getting farther away from him, disappearing in between the flying sparks.

I trust you, always and forever. She had said.

Trust. A powerful word Noah had no meaning for. But the way she said it... the way she looked at him, her worries swallowed back deep inside her soul, her smile resurfacing, her eyes full of hope, just for him. Just because he was there with her. The way she squeezed his hand tightly, all the time they were running together. The way she seemed to relax a little bit more when he was around, the way her shoulders loosened, her eyes regained their usual gleam...whenever he was with her. In the forest. In the room back at the Orphanage. And now, before she decided to sacrifice herself.

Noah was beginning to understand the word trust a little bit more. Hitori trusted him with her life. She knew, she knew he wasn't going to let anyone hurt her.

That's why she agreed to come back with him in the first place. That's why she accepted to return to the home that wasn't her own anymore. To the home where she suffered the most.

Because he was there for her.

Noah felt a warm tug at his chest, like hot chocolate on a cold day, but also not quite like that... Something..something pleasant.

And he wasn't going to let that feeling go without asking the one who created it inside him.

He looked back up at the wrecked Orphanage. Who burned it ? And why tonight, of all times? Was it Honoka? Or one of her subordinates? For what purpose ?

No. He thought. If Honoka wanted to kill them both, she would have done it already. Honoka's purpose isn't murder.

Then who could it be?

His mother's words came back to him. A wise voice in the middle of his messy thoughts.

Before jumping to false conclusions, analyse the clues around you. You may be closer to the answer than you think.

What would she do, if she was stuck in such a situation ? Noah's mum was always the one to teach him the small tricks, hacks out of this world, mysteries to solve on his own, then she would reward him with her divine chocolate cookies, fresh out of the oven...

His mother...Noah's kind, precious mother...

Mother...?

An idea came to his mind. Just a small idea, but one that could be true. One that could explain everything.

He shifted his eyes to the woman, without quite turning his head. Sure enough, she was staring at him intently, expecting him to do something.

"I'm leaving this place" , he announced louder than he intended. Putting his hands in his pockets, he turned back to the road and started walking.

One step, two steps, three..

Four.

Five.

As he reached the other side of the road, he was beginning to doubt his plan before he heard the voice he wanted calling for him.

"Wait !"

He stopped in his tracks. Didn't turn around. He waited, just as he was told.

"You're just going to leave?"

That's when he turned. Aoki was shooting daggers at him with her stare, and that's the only clue he needed.

He tilted back his head, giving her the most careless look he could manage. Grey eyes, devoid of light. A snarl, a wrinkled nose.