Chapter XIV: Haruichi and the house on fire

"Go away" , the boy screamed, struggling to keep his voice from being drowned in all the tears he kept shedding. He was afraid, he was, in fact, terrified. But never will he cower in front of this huge dog that scared his best friend, and him too, for instance.

"Go away!" he repeated, a little louder, waving his arms in front of him in all directions, hoping to scare his opponent. Behind him, Hitori was frozen, eyes wide with fear, tears streaming down her face. Haru could tell she was on the verge of wetting her pants, for she always did that when scared.

Heck, he was almost gonna do that himself. The big brown dog kept barking nonstop, as if seeing two children in his own garden was the end of the world.

"Hitori" , he whispered, hoping not to let the creature know about his plan. "Run, I'll distract him" , his tone suggested the total opposite of his words, but he didn't care. This wasn't the time for intentions. This was the time for action.

"No" , the girl said. "I won't leave you alone"

"But he won't go away!"

"There you were!" , a voice bellowed from a distance. A sweet, feminine, familiar voice.

Haru wanted to cry of joy upon seeing her, but he was already crying, wasn't he? Can someone cry of fear and joy at the same time?

The new girl walked towards them, unfazed by the huge dog. She climbed over the short fence that separated the garden from the nearby street, stood and looked down at her now-wrinkled skirt, and with one hand, she straightened it. "I knew you two would start looking for trouble as soon as I left you alone" , she chastised.

She searched in her pocket for a minute or two, until she found something that resembled a wooden stick.

She turned to the dog. "Come here boy" , she said with a soft voice, sweet as honey. "I have something for you". She waved the stick around, then threw it. The dog didn't even hesitate. He suddenly got disinterested in the children and ran to get his stick back.

Maya chuckled. "Works every time!"

As if inspired by the dog's behaviour, Hitori ran to hug the older girl. "I thought he was going to eat us!", she cried.

It was one of those days. Not the first one, nor was it the last one where one troublesome child dragged another one into an even bigger problem, only to be saved later by the third child. Maya was two years older than both of them. She was the hero, she was the savior. .

And she was the one who brought Haruichi and Hitori together.

And in the end, she was the one to be hurt the most.

******

The flames burned my face, sucked the air dry out of me. I could feel the heat creep inside the very depths of my lungs, I could almost see the ash feed on my now-frail body, leaving nothing but the void behind. My instincts screamed at me, with all their might, that this might be a very bad idea, that I was crazy for throwing my life away, or even worse: relying on luck to save it.

But I kept going.

Today will be the day I save Maya. For the first time since I could remember, I was useless. A crybaby. A damsel in distress. Maya and I grew up together, and we were like snow and fire. She took care of me. She was like my older sister. She made me dolls and read stories to me and played with me until I had tears of laughter drown my eyes. She saved both of us.

But if Maya saves us, and we are both gone, then who will be there to save her?

Of course, this doesn't mean she'll hate me any less after this. The day I kissed Haru was the day I ended all of our lives.