Chapter XXIX: An old story, a love story

Noah didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

He had fallen right into this demon's realm, believed every vision, every lie he had been told, and drowned in an utterly fake pain he never thought he would feel.

He knew what it was called, and he never wanted to feel it again.

Grief.

One of the worst feelings humans can ever have.

Was this also part of becoming a person, of breaking free of his inanimate, empty dollhouse?

Since when did he cherish Hitori so much, for the pain of losing her became this intense?

Grief felt like a huge tear in his very own heart. Like someone slitting his own throat, like a swordsman cutting through flesh, very, very slowly, allowing the skin to heal, the vessels to close up, only to cut them again.

The pain would last forever, and only one thought crossed Noah's mind, when he saw the remnants of the girl's corpse amidst the flock of skeleton sirens.

Nothing will ever be the same again.

But here he was, alive and well, sitting next to the girl he grew to be attached to, the girl who stole some of his heartstrings, who managed to gain his respect, or whatever thing that made him care for her safety.

The girl he wanted to be with, for as long as his journey allowed him to.

They were back at the Technology shop, exactly where they were standing the moment they entered it. Except that now, they were sitting on wooden chairs, their hands and ankles tied by a peculiar rope at which Noah could not stare without having his head spin in endless circles and his whole body feel weaker than a newborn baby's.

Noah stopped thinking about his own feelings and stared back at the demon, standing behind the counter, resting his back on the wall. Typhon was smirking at them, sweat running down his forehead, his red hat long gone, giving way to a clean-shaved head, way too round.

"Sorry, darlings, I had to do this" , the demon started, pointing at the ropes. "You would kill me instantly otherwise, even if it isn't exactly in your favor. After all, I am the only one who can tell you the truth about the other creatures, so openly, so easily, just like that." The demon laughed nervously. Noah could tell he was afraid of the boy's Voodoo Magic, unleashing at any second. Then and only then his ropes wouldn't matter one bit. Alas, Noah was way too tired, the rope was tugging at his consciousness, threatening to make him fall into deep sleep.

As much as he wanted to slaughter this creature, he had no power against him, at the moment.

Noah knew that once the demon's tricks were out in the open, there was no falling for them again. That's why Typhon wasn't attempting anything but enchanted ropes to keep them from attacking.

However, One thing remained unclear.

If he is so scared of me, why is he helping us? Why is he willing to tell us information we could have died to get?

but most importantly...

"Why make us go through hell if you were going to tell us anyway?!" Hitori intervened, reading through Noah's thoughts, her voice on the edge of anger.

She was trying to keep her cool, obviously failing to do so.

"Where's the fun in that?" Typhon spread out his tongue mockingly. He reeked of the word fake, in all its meanings.

"So then, tell us" , Noah said, patience running scarce in his tone.

Typhon turned around, lift his arms in the air dramatically, then said, all terror gone from his voice.