Chapter XII: Under the Flames

The trees parted for the two children, leaving a clear path under the stars for them to pass. They ran and ran, aiming for one destination only. Silence descended on the universe, even the humming cicadas and the owls lurking in the shadows went quiet, waiting for the arrival of the children to their destined spot, where they shall meet their fate, where the pages of the book would go down in flames, where the story would end as suddenly as the strike of a sword in a monster's gut.

The two heroes, in fact, were running straight to their deaths.

If I ever die in the fire, I thought. This would be the last paragraph in my life's book.

I wasn't sure why or how I found Noah's hand again, all I know is that his presence was the only thing that kept me sane, that kept me moving.

You are not alone here. You have allies. Allies that swore to protect you.

Despite Noah's presence, my thoughts raced, one bad scenario after another, the faces of the ones I grew up with were flashing before my eyes as I ran. Haru's smirk resurfaced in my memories. Perhaps this was my punishment for taking his life, perhaps this was what was planned all along for me. Being found as a newborn on the threshold of an orphanage, being raised and loved, then losing everything I held dear.

You deserve this.

It's all your fault.

If you weren't brought to that place, then none of this trouble would have happened.

It's all my fault.

Hot tears were already swelling in my eyes. Imagining the worst, expecting it like it was my immediate future, letting the darkness embrace my---

"HITORI!" I felt a strong tug at my arm, pulling me back so suddenly it stopped me in my tracks.

I looked back at Noah, only to see the fire of my home mirrored in the scarlet of his eyes. I didn't think twice before turning my gaze to what he was staring at.

Flames were consuming the whole building. Their heat reached my eyes, drying every tear that dared to fall, scorching my skin even from this distance. On the grass, a little farther away from hell, stood Mrs Aoki, holding a small child on one arm while comforting the others. The kids all huddled together, clinging to her robes like it was the miracle that protected them from the fire.

The very beginning of relief flooded my insides as though a well kept closed for too long. I silently counted the children, fixing the familiar faces while remembering others I only vaguely knew.

"Aoki-sensei!" I called as I headed towards her. "What happened?"

She looked up at me, unsurprised. "Hitori" , she said with an edge to her voice. "Where were you all this time? I kept searching. I thought you were dead!"

I frowned at her, utterly confused.

It's not like her to lie to me.

"I went for a walk" , I said. "Is everyone---" The next word froze in my throat as a cold feeling of dread washed over me. I had my answer.

Everyone was safe and sound, except for one person.

"Maya" , I whispered.

"Maya!" I screamed as loud as I could manage. I grabbed Mrs.Aoki by the shoulders, shaking her, glaring at her, hating her for forgetting my best friend. "Where's Maya? Answer me!"

This time, her shock showed crystal clear on her face. Her eyes widened, and for a moment, I could see the same worry that consumed me, reflected in her very soul.

She glanced around her, counted the kids with her eyes, in vain.

"Maya!" , she screamed. She bit her lip so hard a trickle of blood ran down her chin. "Maya was supposed to be here-- Maya was supposed to be saved! My child! Where are you?"

There was only really one answer to that question.

And one thing to do.

I looked back at the flames, expecting my childhood friend to emerge from them, wishing for her silhouette to appear unscathed.

Alas, the fire wouldn't respond to orders from a mere human.

I had to bring her back, even if it cost me my life.

"Noah" , I whispered. A cold chill ran down my spine, despite the sweat that damped my forehead, sticking my hair to my skin.

Just like a guardian angel, he responded to me immediately.

"Here" , he said from behind.

Noah with his blessed dead voice. I could kiss him, if I didn't have a suicidal mission to accomplish.

"I'm counting on you" , I told him. His eyes shifted to the color of my hair, a blue as soft as the ocean, a place I wished to be, away from all this pain. I didn't know what that meant for him. I never really knew what Noah felt. What was it like for him, watching something like this happen from a spectator's point of view? What did it feel like to be the one not going through this pain?

"I can't promise anything for that girl, but I won't let you die. You're essential to me." He said bluntly, and I knew, then, that he understood exactly what I wanted him to do.

"I trust you, always and forever." Where did my smile just come from? "Be right back" , I swallowed hard, took a deep breath. I reached for the hem of my shirt, tore a piece of fabric and tied it on my nose and mouth, looked at the boy with the midnight hair and the ocean-painted eyes one last time, then dove right into the flames.