Chapter 30- Late night secrets and a troublesome Gobbie

Start from the beginning

I could barely drink my tea or do anything, and every time I tried to distract myself, that horrible sound came from behind the same newspaper that never moved or had a page turned. I looked to Jenni for guidance, but like Gobbie, who pretended to read a week-old newspaper, she pretend to not notice a grown man make a scene. As if nothing was wrong. Like it was a normal behaviour.

She never flinched or stopped in her quest to drink the most tea in one afternoon. I wished I had that superpower because he was rattling my nerves and she was breezing it through.

"It is my birthday, Gobbie." I blurted, wishing he would grow out of his troublesome ways. My fingers were beating on my knees, as I didn't know what to do with them.

He took his eyes from the newspaper and turned them to me. They were misty and full of sorrow. I felt then that I was going to hate what was about to happen next.

"Of course, sweetie. And I am happy for you and your party. Amelia and Eloise are wonderful children." He said, his pouty lips turning stiff and colourless as rage sank in. "But the princes... those boys..."

He was unable to finish his words, not sure if because they led to treason or because he was at the loss over his discontentment. In the end, only the newspaper suffered, being trampled under his powerful hands.

Except for Franco, who paled behind Gobbie, everyone in the room couldn't care enough to deal with the overwhelming foolishness. But then again, the aide was most likely imagining the work he would have to do to appease the beast-like duke.

I breathed, and took a sip of tea before I told him, "Indeed, father, they both are boys. For sure, boys can be troublesome." Not as you, though. "However, their aides will join us as well, and they will make sure the princes make no mischief." I gave a hopeful smile to him, the corner of my eyes checking Jenni to see if she would help me.

She continued to drink her tea, enjoying the afternoon as if she was in a different plan altogether. Lucky person...

Gobbie's lips twisted, looking as if a wave was coming to shore, while his eyes flared like a blue flame. Oh boy...

"They all beasts!! Beasts!! I should forbid them from entering our home! My poor daughters caught in their claws!"

Welcome drama queen! You have not been missed.

I saw him get up, hands flaring up in the air. His feet caused thundering noises through the room as he paced around like a lunatic. At that time I decided to take Jenni's approach, drink tea and sank my soul into another dimension. That would keep my sanity away from the drama queen's tears and idiotic remarks.

"My Lord..." tried poor Franco, his hands clasped together to stop the shaking.

Gobbie halted and turned to him, hands on his waist. That didn't seem to calm the aide, who approached as if he was about to poke a sleeping bear. A dare he had lost and now he was stuck with.

"Both princes are by now making their way here." he said, coughing a little to gain more courage as Gobbie's eyebrows raised dangerously. "Besides, both emperors seemed happy with the arrangements..." he whimpered a little when he saw Gobbie's face darken and the cold snake appearing beneath the drama queen facade.

I watched the scared grown man step back and hide beneath the shadows, like a wounded animal, saying nothing more. Moments later, Gobbie sat back in front of us, his face shining. I let out a sigh. He had come up with a stupid idea.

"We could tell them we are sick!" he said, excited.

I looked at him in disbelief. NO ONE IS GOING TO BELIEVE THAT SHIT.