Chapter One - Why Not Me?

Sakura and Sai walked down the streets of Konoha to the hospital, exchanging words as they did. This has been a routine for both of them with Sai accompanying the Haruno to her workplace on the way to his. He said that walking with someone you know would help him learn about human emotion and would strengthen their bond. Wanting to help him, Sakura agreed.

"Are you going to the get-together tonight, Sakura-chan?" Sai asked as they halted in front of the Konohagakure Hospital. The said jonin shrugged, "I don't know. But if you'll go then I might as well," she smiled, earning a wide grin from him also. Sai has improved. His smiles are more genuine than before, she thought. "See you later at the gathering, then, Sakura-chan." Nodding, they both separated ways.

Little did they know that they were being watched by a pair of onyx eyes in the distance.

~~~

The lone Uchiha sighed as the blonde dobe began ranting on and on about him and Hinata and about how the infamous Uchiha should get a girlfriend before the festival. "I don't get your problem, teme! You were cold with Sakura-chan when she was yours and now that she's with Sai, you refuse every girl that's interested!" he whined. Sasuke ignored him and just looked out the window as he saw both of them chatting away happily. If Sai could make her happy, then why bother? A voice inside the Uchiha stated. The voice was indeed true but the raven haired male couldn't accept why Sakura replaced him in her heart with an emotionless guy who had the same features as him.

The same raven hair though his was flat, the same onyx eyes that held secrets beyond measure, the same pale skin that made girls swoon, the same cruel past that led them to have their cold and heartless personalities.

"Maybe she has a thing for cold guys!" Naruto exclaimed, snapping Sasuke from his thoughts. "What are you doing here dobe? I thought you have a date with Hinata?" he smirked as Naruto began scrambling for the door. He had no idea why the ramen-addicted chunin kepton bugging him in terms of romance... Wait, that dobe keeps bugging me for no reason!

~~~~

"Sakura-sama!"At the mention of her name, Sakura spun around, about to say yes when the medic team brought in Sai in a stretcher. "What happened?" she asked, hurryinmg to his aid. "Sai was going on a mission to deliver an important document to Suna when he was attacked, good thing Chi and Onika were there for back-up while Mia delivered the document," One of the medic explained. "What about the other two?" Sakura began to attend to his needs while being filled in with the informtion. This was her typical response to any victim. She knows the quick explanation of the situation first and then cures his/her wounds as quickly as possible.

"Luckily, Sai gave them instructions to become a distraction in order for the Mia to escape and deliver the document. As soon as she was out of sight, they carried Sai back here whilst fighting the attackers." Sakura nodded. This was serious. Of what importance was that document to the bandits? Are they a new threat to Suna and Konoha?

"S-Sakura-chan?"

"Calm, down, Sai-kun. You'll be okay in a bit," She said while injecting some tranquilizers to the badly injured shinobi. This was going to take a while because he had a few broken bones and a huge burn on his right thigh. "Arigato... Sakura-chan..." He said with a smile before closing his eyes.