Scene 9 - Monoid Chieftain

We then cut to a campsite set up with a similarly designed tent. Armed Monoid guards stand at the entrances. A sheet covers the entrance, which those entering lift up to go inside.

Xrax:

It's alright. They're quite friendly. You can kill 'em if they give you any trouble.

Tegan:

Charming.

They proceed inside. The travellers are presented to a Monoid Chieftain in an elevated chair with two armed guards beside him. The covering of the tall room remains similar to that of the tent the Drahvines had.

Monoid Chieftain:

And what do we have here? Are these the travellers who claim they can repair our ship?

Groth:

Yeah. They are. I think they should let them get on with the job right now so we can be off this rock and back to civilisation.

Doctor:

How do you do? I'm the Doctor. I see you must be the Chieftain of the Monoids then?

Monoid Chieftain:

I am. We are joined with the humanoids on Kembel in their search to find the lost family of their own kind.

Doctor:

You don't intend to keep us as hostages on this planet until we complete the work on the spaceship?

Monoid Chieftain:

Of course not. We are not barbarians. And there are only a small handful of our people that are accompanied on the Earthmen's expedition. I have been elected Chieftain for the adventure on behalf of my friends.

Groth whispers to Xrax.

Groth:

Not by the ship's captains you were.

Monoid Chieftain:

Our race are at heart kind and peaceful beings. We have undergone much unnecessary discriminative hostility towards our people and reject any kind that is inflicted upon us.

Doctor:

Yes. I remember. You poor things. I can understand why you want to exist freely from slavery as your own individual beings. Monoid Chieftain, before we repair your spacecraft, are you quite aware of the dangers on this planet, and the threat that of the beings that live here?

We cut to see two Monoids in the jungle of Kembel with their guns. They emerge from the forestry and head down a path leading back to the camp.

Monoid 1:

We must return back to the camp to greet the humans.

Monoid 2:

I am curious to investigate their own ship. It may be a possible solution in escaping from this planet. I will return shortly after I investigate it.

The first Monoid leaves, and the second heads in the direction of the TARDIS. When it gets to the ship, a Varga plant menaces the Monoid and injects its spikes into it. The Varga plant quickly infects the Monoid and begins turning it into a Varga plant. Spores expand out from the creature, as do spikes. A creepy, hysterical laugh sounds, the same one the Grizzly Bear made. The Monoid completes its transformation. The laugh continues as the mutated creature slithers away back into the jungle. The other Monoid comes.

Monoid 1:

Where are you? Are you there?

It hears rustling in the jungle and points its gun in that direction. The Grizzly Bear then unexpectedly emerges from the jungle. With its arms extended out and waddling towards the Monoid, it calls...

Grizzly Bear:

COME TO PLAY! TIME TO PLAY! WE BEGIN TO PLAY!

The Monoid shoots at it, but the gun has no effect on the bear. The Monoid keeps shooting but is grabbed by the laughing Grizzly Bear. Once trapped in the cuddle, the Monoid screams and is reduced to a pile of dust on the ground. The bear then continues to laugh. This then cuts to see the bedroom of the little boy again. The Celestial Toymaker, carrying the figure of the Monoid, enters the room.

Celestial Toymaker:

Oh, I am greatly enjoying this little game, Doctor. We've put in such hard work to achieve such a vast collection of figures from your timestream.

The Toymaker places the Monoid figure into the position for the First Doctor's era. He then wanders over to see the end of the line of figures.

The boy will be even more delighted to have a new set of toys to play with.

We see the new figures of another Fifth Doctor and Nyssa joined in with the collection at the end!

It will be fun having you here. All of the many variants of each of your selves, all the delightful companions, and all the strange aliens you've met in your travels. Happy play time, Doctor.

The Toymaker leaves the room laughing, and we are left to see the large collection of figures, and the most recent additions of the Fifth Doctor and Nyssa...

End.

(End credits)

AND IF YOU CAN'T WAIT UNTIL THE NEXT EPISODE TO FIND OUT WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO THE DOCTOR, THERE IS A BBC VIDEO CASSETTE AVAILABLE FROM ALL GOOD RETAILERS OF DOCTOR WHO IN THE REVENGE OF THE CYBERMEN STARRING TOM BAKER AS THE DOCTOR.