Chapter 22:Penance

The Harbinger of Pain

 The Custodian of Terror

Is one who even when slain

Shall rise up unfettered.

--

----

I was still screaming when the axe embedded itself into my head. My executioner smiled and let go of his weapon.

I got up to my feet as my hp started to drop rapidly. Thanks to the way the system calculated damage, the axe wielder hadn't completed the combo, but the axe embedded in my head was still draining my health like crazy. I had 4 seconds, at the most.

4 seconds left.

I swayed a bit and lunged at the nearest laughing coffin member. He laughed and pushed me toward one of his friends, who pushed me back. They started to push me to each other, and a circle formed around me. It took all my effort just to stay upright, and then one of them kicked my legs from under me.

3 seconds left.

The people around me jeered and laughed as I fell. One of them opened his arms and yelled at me to attack. I lunged again, and he tripped me, and I fell again.

2 seconds left.

I saw the player's back as he turned away from me, laughing at the crowd and hyping them up. He considered me dead, an enemy not even worth paying attention to. For  that pissed me off. I leaped one last time, puling the axe from my head and hacking off the player's arm. He started to fall forward, and I fell to the ground with him.

1 second left.

I as I fell to the ground, I opened my menu to make sure at least some of my items survived. That was when I saw it. An icon for a new skill. <<The blade of penance>>. I touched it, and a new weapon materialized into my hands. It was a beautiful blade, with the hilt being cover in thorns and poking my hands. In my final moments, I stabbed the  fallen player, ignoring my pain for one last act of anger.

I almost dropped the blade as a wave of pain washed over me. But after that wave of pain, the axe wound closed as my hp began to increase. I laughed as I rushed toward the crowd surrounding me.

 I laughed as I rushed toward the crowd surrounding me

--

----

They told me what had happened after my bloodlust caused by my near-death experience wore off. After my reckless charge, the members laughing coffin had tried the same strategy of overwhelming me again. However, my new skill and weapon allowed me tank all the damage they inflicted on me. Each time I killed one of them, I regenerated, laughing in both pain and agony. Most of them fled right at the clearers, and either surrendered or got captured.

I had prevented a massacre by sacrificing myself, and had saved countless lives by forcing the enemy to surrender. I was a hero. Some people thanked me, others looked at me with even more fear than what was humanly possible.

But the people whose opinion I truly cared about were nowhere to be seen. Did they think I was a monster? As I drifted off into an uneasy sleep caused by pain and exhaustion, the cold dungeon wall was my only answer.