Chapter 20:Raid

It was late in the afternoon when kirito called me to the tavern. As I walked through the streets, people scurried away from me. The guard NPCs all looked at me with disgust and anger, and the only reason they didn't attack me was because I was ridiculously over-leveled, and they knew I could kill them without any difficulty.

As I walked, I hear the whispers of the people around me.

"I heard he killed a kid...."

"He enjoys it. The only reason Heathcliff hasn't killed him is that without him, laughing coffin would kill more people."

"Can we trust him not to pk in the safe zone?"

I scowled and pulled up my hood farther up. This was as pleasant as being forced on top of a stage and being forced to speak. I felt everyone's gazes on me, and I sped up. As I walked through the doors of the tavern, the barkeeper slammed his fist on his counter.

"No reds allowed."He spat out.

I nodded, not wanting to start a fight despite the irritation I felt. It was not like I was going to start killing people in a safe zone. The system prevented that, but people never trusted the system. How could they trust something that killed people?

Kirito rose on seeing me, and started to argue with the barkeep." He works for Heathcliff, and he saves a lot of people every day." Kirito said, but the man cut him off. "Just like the beater to stand up for the killer. My bar, my rules."

I pulled on kirito's sleeve and led him out. Kirito stopped arguing at once and followed him silently. I stopped outside agil's shop, and threw open the doors. He followed me inside."Agil, its Y/N and kirito."

"Welcome, you two!" Agil's voice bellowed out from somewhere inside the shop." Make yourselves at home."

I pulled out a bottle of wine from my inventory and two glasses. I silently poured it out as kirito waited.

Kirito drank from his glass and looked at me." I didn't realize it was this bad."

"I'm a player killer, kirito. Killing murders doesn't make you any less of a murderer. People generally don't like executioners, even if we keep them safe."

"But still, they treat you like...."

I laughed and downed the bottle in one gulp." Like I'm crazy? Its fine kirito. I'm saving lives, even if they don't appreciate it. And the stories about me are all exaggerated, as anyone with ears can figure out."

Agil sat down next to kirito."So, why are you here?" he asked.

" Why did you call me to the town?"I asked kirito.

Kirito looked at the ground before answering." Are the rumors true?"

I didn't need to ask him which rumor, because kirito was so antisocial that only the most important rumors would reach him." Yes. I've found out the location of laughing coffin's base. The knights of the blood are planning a raid, and after the raid, I won't be needed anymore."

"What will they do to you?"Kirito's voice cracked, as concern creeped into his voice.

"People are uneasy around me, kirito. I've killed too many players, and even the people I save treat me like a mad dog. Heathcliff told me that if I don't earn the respect of the players, he'll have me executed."

Kirito's hand tightened around"He can't, I'll stop him."

"No matter how good you are, you can't fight an entire guild. And if the guild doesn't kill me, then the players will take matters into their own hands."

"When is the raid?"Kirito asked.

"Tonight.And kirito...." I let my mask slip for just a moment, letting my fear show." I don't want to die."

"I won't let you. " Kirito held his hand out.

I clasped his, hand." It's a promise, then."