Chapter 14:Fugitive

Kirito jolted awake as asuna nudged him.

"You could at least try at stay awake.I know he's been going on about sentimental nonsense for about an hour,but at least pretend to care."

Kirito sighed.It was a mistake to have agreed to come here.While the prospect of accompanying asuna to a meeting to spend more time with her sounded romantic,all that had happened was nothing but talk about boring finances and complaining about other guilds.After that,heathcliff had joined in,talking about how they would escape the game with hard work for the hundredth time.

He tapped his foot impatiently against the floor.He could be grinding for exp or mapping the next floor of the dungeon,but he just had to waste time on a girl.His eyes started to wander and strayed to the window and he saw a guard running at full speed in the direction of the meeting room.

He quickly got up,and heatcliff stopped his speech to stare at him.The guard soon burst through the doors and fell to the floor,gasping.Kirito helped him up and gave him a canteen of water out of his inventory.The guard gulped down the water,and then fell on one knee.

"Lord heathcliff,I'm sorry for the disturbance,but this is important news."

Heathcliff waved his hand toward the guard,asking him to continue.

"The white haired prisioner has escaped....after killing the ring leader.His suborditates are also missing."

The guard gulped before continuing."Several patrols were sent after him,but none of them managed to even see him.He's taken to robbing players at knife point.So far he hasn't killed anyone,but its only a matter of time."

Kirito's stomach lurched with panic.What was he hearing?

Heathcliff lowered himself into his chair and banged his armoured fist into the table."He was the strongest prisoner there.He's strong enough to fight me and give me a hard time!The only other player killer in the game strong enough to do that is the leader of the laughing coffin guild.He was non-violent before.What did you idiots do to turn him into a hardened killer?!"

Heathcliff placed his hands on his temples and took a quill out of his desk and began to draw up an in game contract.After a couple of minutes,he read it out aloud.

"To all those who see this,I hereby declare that the player by the name Y/N L/N has been identified as a dangerous red player.If you are able to capture or kill him,you are entitled to a 1 million cor reward,and eternal appreciation from the knights of the blood."

Kirito's blood went cold,and he watched numbly as heathcliff signed the contact and handed it to the guard.

"Well,that ends the meeting for today.All of you can leave,except for asuna and the black swordsman."

The room quickly emptied out,and they were left alone in the room with heathcliff.

He stood up and started to speak in a hushed tone,like he was worried that someone might overhear them.

"All the players that go after you friend are as good as dead.The best most of them will do is distract him.But spending several days without food or sleep will disorient him.If want you to try to catch him alive,then that's your best bet."

Kirito moved angrily toward heatcliff,but asuna pulled him back.

"Why are you doing this?"kirito asked."Isn't this a bit overkill for one person?"

Heathcliff smiled."Your friend has just killed one of the most powerful players in my guild.If I don't do this,then my guild will think I'm being soft."

"But I can't let a talent like him go to waste.Find him before the strategy meeting,kirito,and convince him to testify.Maybe we can convince the guild not to kill him."

Kirito stood in shock for a moment before nodding and walking away,with asuna following him.He didn't have time to question heatcliff's motives.He needed to save his friend from himself.