Hide-and-Seek

Charlie and Xavier were brothers. They were also best friends. They loved to play together, watch TV together, they did EVERYTHING together. They were both really close.

So one day, their mother was at the grocery store and had told them both to wait for her outside and not to get in any trouble while she was gone.

Charlie suggested that they both play hide-and-seek.

Xavier wanted to hide first. So when Charlie covered his eyes and began counting, he wondered about where he should hide.

Smirking, he ran to the back of the grocery store, diving into the large dumpster. He knew that Charlie would never find him back there. Xavier decided that he was the best at hide-and-seek.

Then he heard a roaring noise, along with loud annoying beeps that hurt his ears. He did not know what it was, so he sunk deeper into the trash, telling himself that if he hid for a little longer, whatever it was would go away.

Then he screeched in horror as the dumpster was dumped into the back of a garbage truck. He was squashed by several bags of old, moldy food and broken down items. He realized that the garbage truck would take him away from the grocery store and Charlie and his mother. He cried and sobbed, scared.

What he didn't know about garbage trucks was, that they filled themselves with waste and compacted it to make room for more.

When the walls of the truck began to close in, he screamed for help, hoping that the driver of the truck would hear him, but the garbage truck driver didn't seem to hear Xavier's cries over the sound of crushing trash.

Xavier kept yelling desperately for the driver or somebody to save him, but nobody could hear him. Soon, Xavier was crushed together along with the rest of the garbage, killing him, slowly and painfully.

Charlie had stopped counting minutes ago. He was asking shoppers if they had seen his brother, and he was starting to get worried. His mother had finished her shopping list, and Charlie explained that Xavier had gone missing during their hide-and-seek game.

They searched and searched, but they did not find Xavier anywhere. He truly was the best at hide-and-seek.