The Lights

My son, Billy, and I were inside my room. I was reading him the bedtime story, the Three Little Pigs. After tucking him in, I started towards my bed.

I laid down, closed my eyes, and began to sleep.

Suddenly I was interrupted by my Billy's shocked cry.

I saw him pointing at the window, calling, "Look, Mommy, look at the pretty lights!"

I frowned. "What lights, honey?"

I began to get up from my bed when my son started to shriek in horror. His body was lifted by an invisible force, his arms and legs flailing. "Mommy, Mommy, don't let them take me!!!" he screamed in terror. His head slammed into the ceiling, creating a horrible cracking sound.

I jumped off the bed, grasped at his small legs and made an attempt to tug him down. My eyes were blurred from tears, my head pounding. What the hell was going on?

I began pulling on him harder, but he would not come down to me.

"Mommmmmmy!!!!!" he screeched. "The monsters!!! They're right there, Mommmmmyyyyy!!!"

I did not see any monsters. Just me and my son in the nearly empty room.

He wailed in agony and I realized that he was.... bleeding. A stream of blood was pouring from his nose, his mouth, his eyes, uncontrollably. He was crying in pain.

My hands slipped from his legs. I collapsed to the ground, and everything went dark.

I opened my eyes and I noticed that I was on my bed. I blinked, rubbing my forehead, tenderly. What an odd dream....

I glanced to the side to see Billy standing beside my bed, bloody napkins pressed to one of his eyes. He was sobbing, gasping for air.

"Hey, Mommy," he said, his voice trembling.

"What's wrong with your eye, Billy? Are you hurt?" I demanded.

"It's okay, Mommy. The aliens are gone now."

I asked in a low whisper, "The.... The aliens? Billy, are you okay?"

"They asked if they could borrow one of my eyes. It's okay, Mommy, they promised they would give it back."