"Really?" Steph turns to face him, now smiling.

"Yes."

"You're lying. I don't believe you." She says, her expression changing again.
Chris tries to convince her that he isn't lying while Brooke silently laughs at the scene in front of her.

"I'm thirsty," Steph announces.

"I'll get water," Brooke volunteers.

"Okay, thanks. We'll be at the gazebo in the backyard.

"Okay."

"Let's go, Hazel."

***

"This is no longer a small gathering," Brooke mutters to herself. She should have known that there's no way that people wouldn't find out about Christopher Hayes' birthday party. She scans the area as she walks, recognising a lot of people from school.

She sights Jason and Piper. Piper sees her too and waves. Brooke walks over to them for a brief greeting. She hasn't seen Piper in a while.

"Hey Brooke," Piper greets.

Brooke smiles. "Hey."

"Where's Steph? I haven't seen her tonight," Piper says.

"She's with Chris. She's kinda drunk," Brooke answers.

"Wow. She keeps surprising me," Jason comments.

"What else did she do?"

"Chris told me. She asked him to be her boyfriend," Jason elaborates.

Brooke and Piper chuckle.
"Yeah, that." Brooke gestures around. "This is no longer a small gathering."

"I know. It's not my fault he's so popular. Word got out," Jason shrugs, defending himself.

"Perks of being popular," Piper chips in.

Brooke nods. "Yeah. Anyway, I have to go. I need to get water for Steph. It was nice seeing you, Piper."

"You too."

Just as she's about to enter the kitchen, she almost bumps into someone. She's about to apologise then she sees it's Cole, her ex.

"Hey," Cole smiles sadly.

Brooke rolls her eyes. Now, that she's standing in front of him, she doesn't feel anything. She's now wondering why she was so sad.

"Hey." Brooke says, feeling awkward.

"How have you been?" Cole asks.

"Great. You?"

"Good. Happy holidays."

"Same to you." Nothing is said for a few seconds. The background music fills the awkward silence until she can't take it anymore.

"I have to go--"

"Wait!" He stops her.

He sighs. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry for hurting you, Brooke. I didn't mean to."

He does look like he's sorry. But she doesn't say anything so he continues.

"I'm really sorry for breaking your heart. If I could do something to make it up to you, I would."

"Then break up with her and let's get back together." Brooke deadpans.

"What?" Cole's eyes widen. He opens his mouth to say something but no words come out.

"Then don't say what you don't mean. And quit apologizing. Shit happens." Brooke shrugs. "It might take a while but I'd eventually get over you and move on. And please, stop feeling guilty and just be happy."