Tim and Ashley

#104daysofsummervacation
#104daysofchenford
#Day12

"Tim, I'm here!" Ashley called out.
"In the kitchen, Ash!"

"Mmmm smells good. What's for dinner?"
"White fish, asparagus, and potato wedges."
"With red wine?"
"With red wine," he confirmed.

"So...Tim," she said as they wrapped up their meal, "I don't want you to take offense to this, but you've seemed off these past couple of days."
He pushed back his plate and sighed. He'd been waiting for this question. If he'd learned anything, it was that he needed to be honest about everything. "No, you aren't wrong. Something...happened. And it affected me more than I anticipated. I knew I needed to tell you about it because I want to be honest in this relationship. I just wasn't sure how you'd react to it."
"I'm going to go out on a limb and say it has something to do with Lucy?"
"You'd be right about that. Look. This is hard enough to say. So can you just let me get it out and then react however you want to afterward?"
"I'll do my best."

"Okay. So. The gist of the scenario is, that we went undercover. As a couple. Normally I'd have no part in a UC operation but the funny thing was, a couple of drug runners we picked up-you know what that's beside the point. Um...we kissed. So we could maintain cover and all that. But now I'm-I'm all mixed up. And I don't know what to do about it. And I really, really wish I could say that I didn't feel anything because I do like you, a lot. But, I did. I felt something. And I just don't feel right about stringing you along if I know that I'm not sure of where I stand."
"So..." she started slowly, "are you saying that you're breaking up with me?"
"Absolutely not."
"So what is this, exactly? Because you're sitting over there, telling me that another woman kissed you, that you felt something, but you aren't breaking up with me?"
"Pretty much."
"Okay, but why?"

"Because I think it's only fair that you know the details and you get to decide whether I'm worth the trouble anymore."
"I have another question."
"Okay."
"Do you think I'm angry with you?"
"It wouldn't surprise me."
"And if I decided to act on that anger?"
"Then that would be your right. I've put you in a position that I didn't ever want to. I didn't think I was going to. And I'm pretty pissed at myself, for what it's worth."
"Tim, you can't control how you feel for another person, no one can. To be honest, I'm not surprised."
"What is that supposed to mean," he bristled.
"Don't go all defensive on me, Tim. All I'm saying is, if I hadn't come on the scene, you two probably would have been a thing by now."
"That-that's ridiculous."

She shrugged, "Ridiculous or not, I'm not mad, okay?"
He looked puzzled. "Really?"
"Really. I'm sad, to say the least. But thank you, for telling me about it. And, I think I know you well enough by now to know that you are hurting over this. Because I know you'd do anything to protect me. Just because of that, you deserve, everything and anything you want, Tim. So I'm going to ask you, what do you want out of your future?"

He sighed, "Everything you don't."
She smiled, "It's going to work out. For you, and for me. Like I said, I'm not made for the long term in your life, Tim. But someone else is. I'm willing to bet any money that you've had who you've been looking for for a long time without realizing it."

"So..."
"So...this is it, Tim. Although...I still want that Hawaii trip if that's okay?"
"Of course it is. Do you want to take someone else?"
"No, silly, I'll still go with you. Changing the names on the ticket is a bit of a hassle, don't you think?"
"Are you sure?"
"Positive. Well, anyway, thank you. For dinner, for everything. Good luck to you two, and I better damn well get a wedding invite," she said with a wink.

He smiled weakly, "If we get there, you'll be the first one on the list."
"I wouldn't go that far, Tim. Just make sure I have a good seat."

"Bye, Ash. I'm sorry."
"You have nothing to be sorry for Tim, really. For what it's worth, it was fun while it lasted."

She stood to go. "Hey...can I take the rest of this wine home with me?"
"Obviously," he said with a smile.
"Thanks."