He's Gone

#104daysofsummervacation
#104daysofchenford
#Day17

"Hey, where's Tim?" she asked John. Not that she was unhappy to be riding with Nolan. The atmosphere in the shop had been awkward. To put it delicately. Nolan was a good, lighthearted balance to the weightiness that came with Tim. 

"In Hawaii, remember?" Nolan said innocently.

Her world stopped on its axis. 
The noise clouded over.
Nolan's figure grew blurry in her visual perception.
"With Ashley?" she felt herself ask.
His lips moved, forming the word yes

"Lucy? Lucy? Lucy!" 
The sharpness of his tone rapidly brought her back to the functioning present.
"Are you okay?"
"Yeah, yes! I'm fine, I'm all good. I don't know why that phased me so much. I mean, I knew they were going obviously. I guess I forgot. I don't know why it was such a shock. Like, I knew-"
"Lucy," he interrupted.
"Hm. Yes?"
"It's...it's okay. Are you sure that's what it's about though?"
"Positive."

Negative.
She was upset and more puzzled than ever. She didn't think one person could make her such a mess. But Tim Bradford had a habit of doing that. One of the most controlling put-together people in her life was the same one who most often came on the scene of her own life and wrecked the system. 

She'd kissed him. 
He'd kissed her.
Now he was off in Hawaii with Ashley as if nothing had happened. 

She wanted to slap herself for being so naive. 
Nothing had happened. At least, nothing that mattered.
It really was just a part of the job. 

She wanted to slam her head against a wall for being so hopeful.
She'd opened herself up to possibilities that she knew were dangerous.
Tim made everything dangerous. She should have known by now to stay away.
But she'd allowed hope to crawl in.
Because she finally and openly admitted to herself, that she was in love with him. 

She'd only allowed herself to get burned.
And it hurt