Chapter 10 - Someone Has to Win

Start from the beginning

Preese shook his head; glanced up from his data slate. "Means we'll be getting another newbie, eh?"

Ryke popped a hydro-cube from his jacket pocket and placed it on his tongue, feeling icy sensation of water slowly releasing into his mouth. He rolled it from side to side thoughtfully.

"So long as we get someone from Brekka," he muttered. "I can work with that."

"You think the lieutenant's got the straying power for this?"

"No, I don't." Ryke sighed. "He kept it together enough for us to pull this one out of the bag because he didn't have to change his plan. We changed it for him."

"Can't wait to see what it looks like when plans fall apart," Preese grunted sarcastically.

"Won't that be an interesting day?" He thumped a gentle fist down on the other pilot's shoulder. "Make sure they get some rest. I need to debrief with Miquelon but I want everybody to do have a full damage check of their rig ready to go when the engineers get here, alright?"

"We'll get it done." Preese shot him a mischievous look. "Try not to pick any fights without us."

"No promises."

Steeling himself, Ryke left his pilots to their small slice of calm. He had a feeling that moments like this would soon be on short supply.

*

That night the support columns arrived. With Ozzmar secured, a train of vehicles streamed into the ruins under the setting suns of the badlands, carrying extra medical staff, engineers and porters.

Makeshift tents sprung up all around the town square and the he smelled sizzling meat and earthy vegetables as the porters plied their trade. In a matter of minutes long triage centres lined large portions of the square, where wounded soldiers stabilised by the combat medics could receive proper treatment. The searing scent of welding torches and burning fuel washed across the vehicle bays as the engineers set to work.

Ryke made his way through the bustle, heading back towards the Hunter-Killer bay where repairs would soon be underway. A row of bulky crawlers from the Engineering Cadre were parked in the centre of the square now, their loading doors open on the flanks as they disgorged crate after crate of fresh armour plates, ammunition and spare parts. His eyes wandered over the serried mass of vehicles, the deluge of voices reverberating through the square as orders were yelled above the growl of engines. Ryke found it all oddly nostalgic, like being back in the massive hangar at Stamm Basin.

As he passed by the nearest crawler, however, he spotted something that made his heart leap. He stopped abruptly, twisting on his heel and stepping over to the side of the vehicle. He leaned close, examining the insignia emblazoned just above its immense balloon wheel. His eyes lit up as he saw the burnished silver shield motif encircled by upward facing bullets, with the number fifteen etched below it.

The Engineering Cadre's 15th Armourers platoon out of Brekka – Ivy's unit. They were in Ozzmar right now. Ryke looked up sharply, glancing left and right for any sign of her. Then he realised the most likely place she would be and set off at a jog towards the dormant Hunter-Killers.

Sure enough, when he reached the northern edge of the square he saw her familiar figure standing in front of his mech, head cocked sideways as she examined the damage, fingers tapping into her data slate as though they had a mind of their own. He slowed to a walk, finding his smile.

"Evening, Corporal," he called breezily.

She whipped around at his voice, her face lighting up as he approached. Ivy took a step forward and slung her free arm around his shoulders, pulling him into a hug.