Chapter Fourteen: A Starry Night

You shut the TV off and headed to the bathroom to brush your teeth. However, you weren't tired at all and the thought of going to bed bored you. You paced around your apartment, searching for anything you could do, but there was nothing.

Maybe a night drive will help. You grabbed the keys from the hook and walked out the door. You got into your car and started it. The clock on the screen read 9:45 pm. You pulled your car out of the parking garage and turned onto the road. Luckily there wasn't too much traffic, and you didn't run into any red lights. At the edge of the city, you came to an intersection with an option to go onto the highway or to turn off into a more rural road. You took the latter, and as you were driving onto it you saw a hill in the distance. It looked like the perfect spot to stop and relax.

You pulled over at the bottom of the hill and climbed it. There wasn't anyone around, and you were far enough from the road to the point where the cars driving by on the highway were just a distant 'whoosh'. Looking at the city from this far away made you feel like a giant. There was an outer glow to the city from the lights, but it didn't reach far. When you shifted your gaze upward, it was met with a sea of stars. You laid down on the hill and felt the cool, lush grass in between your fingers.

The stars bore a similar resemblance to the pick-up zone at the daycare. You squinted your eyes, trying to make out the constellations. You spotted the big dipper, but that was it. Easy, considering that one was year-round. You stayed there a while, transfixed on the sparkling white specks atop the twilight canvas. You caught a few shooting stars. You couldn't help but a wish every time you saw them. It was one of those stupid things as a kid you did that just stuck with you. Being out here was much calmer than sitting in a cloud of cigarette smoke.    

I should buy some camping gear or something.

You felt your eyelids getting heavy, and despite your best efforts, you were too relaxed to get up. You shut your eyes, and your breathing slowed. You focused on the way your chest rose and fall with your inhalations and exhalations. The sound of crickets chirping in the hills next to you drowned out the sounds of the city, and you let nature sing you to sleep.