Chapter 10: Maybe we're not supposed to be here...

You and Sun glanced at each other. He gestured back to where you entered from, mouthing 'we should go'.

You were about to agree with him and make an excuse to leave when the chicken thing cleared her throat and crossed her arms.

"I haven't seen the two of you 'round here," she said with a quiet tone. "You new?"

You smiled shakily. "Yeah, we're new. I'm new. He's not new, heh." You're blowing it. "He just, hasn't been out here before. We're both totally authorized to be here, though." She raised an eyebrow.

"Don't worry, Chica," Freddy spoke up. "This is Sundrop and Y/N. Sundrop is the Daycare Attendant! Y/N is his...assistant, I assume?" You nodded.

You and Sun had unconsciously started backing up. Chica squinted at you and tapped her foot, but suddenly her face lit up and she grinned. "Well, why didn't ya say so? Welcome to the crew!" She scooped you and Sun up into her arms with ease and hugged you tightly. You glanced over her shoulder at Sun. He seemed just as confused as you.

She plopped you and Sun back down. "Sorry if I scared ya! Monty says we've been having some people sneaking around lately." You felt your face flush. "All part of the job, though! Say, I'm gonna grab Roxy and Monty and introduce you to-"

"NO!" You exclaimed. Everyone looked at you, taken aback by your harsh tone. "I- Sorry, sorry. I just...don't want to keep you guys up any longer. You uh, need to get rest and all that." You checked the time. "It's, like, 11:30. I should be getting home anyway." You noticed Sun tense up out of the corner of your eye.

Chica and Freddy gave each other a puzzled look and Chica opened her mouth to say something, but Sun butted in. "Yeah, uh, very long day! Lots of kiddos running around and trashing the place, you know how it is. But it was wonderful to see you two- um- have a good night!" He waved awkwardly, and Freddy and Chica smiled and returned to their rooms.

He took your wrist and started guiding you back to the backstage area, but you pulled away from his grip. He looked down at you, clearly distraught.

"Y/N? We really need to be getting you home. It's late!"

"Dude, what's wrong with you? Why are you so eager to leave?"

"I'm eager to leave? You're eager to leave! You were acting weird too!"

"So you admit you're acting weird?"

"Wha- no! Well- no! Look, I-" Suddenly, his eyes rolled up and his head jerked to the side. Sparks flew out of his neck joint with a sharp hiss. You jumped back, startled.

"Woah! Sun? Are you okay? What the hell..."

"Need to- get you- h o m e." His voice was hitching, his head thrashing down violently. His rays started...retracting? Your heart began to race.

"Sun..?" You held him by the shoulders, and he seemed to relax a bit. He stilled, but his eyes were still rolled up and he was being completely unresponsive. You could hear...ticking. Coming from inside him. You hesitantly laid your ear to his chest out of curiosity, and you could hear all the mechanical parts inside him whirring and clicking under stress. You pressed yourself closer to see if you could hear more, when suddenly he backed away. "...Y/N? What, um..."

Your stomach dropped. You shoved off of Sun and sheepishly met his gaze. He darted his eyes away and chuckled nervously. "Uh, sorry, I- you were- it's- um- sorry." Wow. You felt your face getting hot and turned away. Please don't say anything please don't say anything-

"...Ahem. Okayyy. What, uh- what just happened?"

You felt your face get even hotter. You threw your hands up in defense. "You were tweaking out, man! I was- tryna see what was going on! Promise!"

"No, I believe you! It's- it's alright!" He shook it off and smiled softly. "It's getting late though, Y/N. You need to be getting home."

You sighed, relieved he changed the subject. "Yeah. Want me to walk you back to the Daycare?" Why am I hoping that he'll say yes?

Sun almost seemed to hesitate, but grinned and offered his hand. "I would love that!" You tried to resist a smile as you took his hand and the two of you walked back to the Daycare.