Chapter Twelve: Nostalgia

You showed up at your apartment and to your relief, there was no note on the door from Patrick. You grabbed some leftover spaghetti you had cooked about a week ago and heated it up. You took the bowl out of the microwave and plopped down on the couch, ready to watch more My Little Pony. You were having trouble focusing on the show though. All you could think about was Sun. And the rest of the pizzaplex, of course. You twirled the spaghetti around your fork and started spacing out. Your gaze had drifted to the view out your balcony doors.

Despite the price, you hadn't regretted choosing the apartment on the highest floor. The air was clear up there, and the balcony had the best overlook of the city. You paused the show and set the bowl down on your coffee table. You stood up and walked over to the balcony, pushing open the doors. A warm blanket of fresh air kissed your face, and you closed your eyes and breathed it in. It cleared your head a bit. You opened your eyes and looked out over the skyline of the city. The silhouettes of the buildings glowed against the sun dipping in the distance. You could just barely make out the bold square outline of the Pizzaplex at the edge of the city, it's neon logo peering above the rooftops. You leaned over the balcony for a few minutes, observing the changes as the day ended and the night officially began.

The darkness finally came, and one by one the lights in the city turned on to keep it awake. One thing you loved about this city was that it never rested. There was always noise, always light, always something going on that you would hear about. You looked down. A few kids were playing in the street below, shoving each other around and laughing. You smiled to yourself, but the sharp smell of cigarette smoke pulled you out of your peaceful trance. You looked up. Your neighbor had stepped onto his balcony, and he was glaring off into the distance. You could hear what must have been his wife yelling from inside. He just ignored her and smoked his cigarette.

You looked back down to where the kids were, but they had left. You sighed and walked back inside, closing the balcony door.

Being an adult sucked.