Chapter Seven: Closing time, finally

After lingering around the Daycare and making incredibly thrilling 2-second long conversations with the kids for what was apparently 4 hours, it was finally time for their parents to pick them up.

Sun gathered them all by the doors, counting them off to make sure they were all there. They all tackled him in a hug one more time, and even Sun looked sad to see them go. He got them to calm down, but a few of them were sniffling, not wanting to leave. He gave the crying kids a sympathetic smile and told them they could come back tomorrow, he was always here, etc.

One by one, the children began leaving with their parents, waving goodbye to Sun or running to give him one more hug, then going to their parents, who were all looking at Sun with the same look you must have given him when you first saw him. Sarah was the last kid left, and you saw Sun talking to a man that must have been her father, who was looking up at Sun, then down at Sarah, then over at you. He spotted the bandage on your arm and pointed to Sarah. Sun nodded. You couldn't hear what they were saying, but you could have guessed what they were talking about. The man seemed apologetic, and Sun was shaking his head. The guy was probably offering money or something. Sun whispered something to the father, and he nodded.

The man took Sarah by the hand, and she was pouting. By the time they started going up the stairs, she was screaming and hollering about how she didn't want to leave, and how she hated her dad for making her go home.

What a brat.

Before you could hear any more of the words her father had to endure, Sun slammed the doors shut and sank to the floor. He was tired. You walked over to him and knelt down.

"Sun?"

He raised his head. "Hm?"

"Are you okay? Do you need me to clean up or whatever? I don't know if you...need...sleep, but you seem exhausted, dude."

"Oh, what? No- no, I'm fine! Don't worry! This first day on the job went really well!" He said, standing up. He began walking around, cleaning a few things up here and there. You stood up and followed him, helping out with cleaning the rest of the Daycare.

Sun was humming some things to himself when he perked up. "Hey Y/N, what time is it?"

You checked your phone. "5:10. Why?"

"Just wondering." He smiled and turned back around to keep cleaning up.

You hadn't gotten a good look at him before (seeing as he was always surrounded by a crowd of children), but there were drawings all over him. There must have been markers in there somewhere, and the kids had gotten access to them.

"Hey man, you're all marker-y. You got any wet wipes around here or anything?"

"Oh, this? No, you can leave it! I don't mind it at all! The kids need to express their creativity somehow. Plus," he gestured to his sleeves, which were riddled in drawings and colors. "I have a change of clothes for tomorrow. Come on, we're almost done cleaning! And don't worry, I handled the ball pit situation."

"Yeah, you 'handled' it." You said, grinning. "Y'know, I'm glad I got bit instead of having to scoop a kid's shit out of a ball pit."

"Ew. Ew! Don't you give me that look, it wasn't funny! Next time you're cleaning it up."

"We'll put a pin in that. You washed your hands, right?"

"I'm offended you would even ask me that. Yes. I did." He rolled his eyes. You were about to ask him if he was even waterproof when the loudspeaker went off.

"Attention all superstars! The Glamrocks are performing their last show of the day on the stage in 10 minutes! Grab some pizza and finish up your games to see your favorite performers one more time before closing! 10 minutes!"

You and Sun faced each other. You both grinned and rushed to clean and put away anything you had left.

"We just had a mutual agreement that we're absolutely going to that, right?" You called out to him from the other side of the Daycare.

"I'm glad we're on the same page!" He yelled back.

You met him by the ball pit, and could barely contain your excitement. You didn't want to admit it, but you really wanted to see this place in action. The atrium that Corin had showed you looked incredible, and you were dying to see a performance live in it.

"Let's go!" Sun took your hand and led you to the door, but he stopped and his smile fell. "Oh gosh, I just forgot. I'm not supposed to leave the Daycare. At least not before closing."

"Oh yeah, that. Anyways, let's go, man. What else are we gonna do?" You tugged his hand, but he stayed in place. He opened his mouth to say something, but stopped himself. 

You looked at Sun and gestured to the doors. He seemed nervous, and his rays were twitching back and forth.

"C'mon! Look, we can sneak in the back and no one would notice. Those kids are gonna be too busy shoving their faces in pizza and jamming to the songs for them to even know you were there. And the adults are probably too tired to care. It'll be fun! It's more fun to do things when you're not supposed to, y'know. Try it out." You gave him a warm smile. His rays began spinning, but he reached up and held them in place.

He looked behind him at the Daycare, then down at you. He sighed and took your hand again, opening the doors and shutting them behind him ever so quietly. You eyeballed the top of the stairs and saw Corin packing stuff up at their desk. You crossed your fingers and hoped they wouldn't look down. They didn't. You saw them grab their bag and walk out towards the entrance. You turned to Sun and grinned. "Let's go."