Thirty Four

A/N - I know Vicky wasn't actually there on the night but let's pretend she was and also Coombs sat out that game but Lina isn't.

*

BBC Commentary

"Hello and welcome to Plough Lane for this evening's Continental Cup Final between Chelsea and Manchester City.

Let's have a look at the teams then, starting with Chelsea.

Two changes to the team that beat Leicester in the FA Cup last weekend, Fran Kirby is ill, Jessie Fleming has COVID so Niamh Charles and Guro Reiten, who scored the winner against City in the WSL last month, come in. Sam Kerr scored a hat trick in last years final at Vicarage Road against Bristol City.

Two changes as well for Manchester City, to the eleven that won the Manchester Derby. Vicky Losada is injured while Jess Park drops to the bench, as the two players that came on at half time last weekend that changed the game, who start; Caroline Weir and Hayley Raso.

Top scorer Khadija Shaw is named among the substitutes, as is Catalina Romero, the midfielder returning from injury after sitting out the Derby.

So Rachel Brown-Finnis, finally we see these two fight it out for a cup!

It's quite unbelievable isn't it, how they've previously knocked each other out at varying stages of cup completions. But for me, they are the best two teams in the country, on form.

We know that Manchester City had a pretty poor start to the season, that's put them behind in the running for the title but they certainly have momentum going into this day".

*

"How are you doing kid?".

We're 1-0 down and it's almost half time.

I look up and see Lucy, the defender checking up on me as the referee sets up the free kick, "good, that tackle just took it out of me" I reply, fixing my shin pad and pulling up my sock.

"Knee feels a bit funny again but I'll try and run it off".

Lucy's face changes to one of concern and she gently holds me back by my arm when I attempt to walk away, "are you sure you're ok? I've told you before about my knee and you've seen first hand this year how I struggled" she frowns.

"I don't want you to be the same situation I've been in. You've got to take any niggles in your knee seriously Lina".

I nod, "I'll be fine Luce and if I'm not, I'll get it checked out".

"Promise?" she asks.

"I promise".

*

We take advantage of the Chelsea team being stretched after a player receives treatment, Georgia making a run down the right wing and playing it across to Caz.

The midfielder is open in the box and takes a touch before sending it into the back of the net.

"Cazza!!!!".

We all go running after the Scot, the fans behind the goal going absolutely wild and giving us the confidence to feel we can get back into this game.