Thirty Three

*

"Travel day!!!"

Ellie screams, running down the bus towards the back, "she's such a child" Alex laughs as we follow her down the aisle and join the goalkeeper who is now lounging across the seats.

"Tell me about it".

Janine and Georgia join us, myself and Stanners relegated to the two backwards facing chairs.

"So Lina, how's things with Patri? It must be hard being away from her having spent so long together when you were at Barca" Georgia says, "yeah it's hard, but we make it work" I smile.

"How are you and Olly anyway? Rugby going ok for him?" I ask and she nods, "yeah it's good, has a few offers from other places but he's just focused on Wakefield for now".

"Exciting!".

"How about you Alex? How's Jack?".

She shrugs, "struggling with his injury at the minute but being a very supportive boyfriend".

"When is he not?" Ellie smirks and Alex hits her arm, "you can't talk, you're not even dating anyone" the defender replies. "Hey, by my own choosing" Ellie retorts, "I'm focusing on my football for now, trying to get in a good mindset and get that Euros spot" she explains.

"Oh yeah, are guys looking forward to a home Euros?" I ask and they all nod, apart from Janine of course.

"It's going to be great, having the fans support up and down the country will be a really big part of our campaign" Alex says, "I'm looking forward to our group, it's always fun playing another home nation" Georgia adds.

Janine chips in, "do you guys think you'll make your countries squads?".

"Lina?".

I shrug, "why are you passing the question to me first? But in all seriousness, I'd like to think I have a good chance. I mean no one beats the midfield of Alexia, Patri and Aitana, that's undeniable..." I say.

"Yes but you are just as good as them" Janine smiles, "thank you, but there's some strong candidates and I'll just have to see".

"You'll be in that squad, mark my words" Vicky says, having appeared out of nowhere, "bloody hell Losada, way to give us all a heart attack" Georgia shouts.

My friend laughs, "sorry, I didn't mean to scare you".

"Bit late for that now".

*

"Hello mi amor".

"Hello princesa" Patri smiles, waving at me through the camera, "ready for the big final tomorrow?" she asks.

"Uh-huh, really excited actually. Think we have a really good chance" I smile, "will you be able to watch? I know you have a game tomorrow..." I hint and she nods.

"Yes, we're all going to sit down and watch it after ours".

We speak for what must be an hour before Janine returns from a team game night and I respectfully end the call.

"Did you enjoy game night?" I ask, turning my phone off and putting it on the side table, "yes, it was good although someone needs to teach Ellie how play cards properly" the Canadian laughs.

"Oh dear".

"Was that Patri I heard" she asks, sitting on her bed and I nod, "yes, we were talking about tomorrow and how they're going to watch the game after theirs" I explain.

"I think they'll be a bit behind though".

I suddenly go quiet and Janine catches on, "what's up?" she asks tentatively.

"Do you think we'll win tomorrow? Chelsea are such a good team and we haven't done so well against them this year..." I ramble and the forward chuckles slightly.

She takes my hands in hers, "okay, that was when we were down a whole host of players and yes, we may still be missing Steph... but we are in a much better place now than we were seven months ago. What's brought on this sudden change of heart?" she asks.

I shake my head.

"I don't really know... I just don't want to let you guys down with being the new girl. Plus I want to help this club so much and I think I'll feel like a failure if it doesn't go well... then there's Patri to think about and how disappointed she'll be as well as you guys".

Little do I know, Janine's heart is breaking for me and she wraps me up in a big hug, "we are going to go out there tomorrow and show Chelsea what we're all about. If we lose, you are not a failure and nobody, not even Patri will be disappointed in you, ok?".

I nod, still not totally convinced but feeling better than before.

"But" she says, "we are not going to lose. We are going to win and hold that trophy up high, then celebrate with everyone. That trophy is coming back to Manchester with us, you hear me?" she asks.

"Okay".

"What's that I can't hear you" Janine mocks, "where is that trophy coming?".

"Back to Manchester!" I shout, but not too loudly, "that's my girl" she smiles, "now let's get some rest, we have a big day tomorrow".

I nod, "thanks Janine".

"Anytime kiddo".

*

A/N - slowly finding time to update this in between the imagines. Conti Cup final is next...