Nineteen

*

"What are your plans for Christmas, Lina?" Alex asks, "the usual. Go home, see my family".

And Patri.

I haven't told any of my teammates at City apart from Vicky of course and it's becoming increasingly harder to hide it from them, especially when she texts me several times throughout the day.

It was easy while on international duty, no one questioned it and to be honest, we kept the flirting to a minimum although Patri did insist on calling me princesa a lot of the time which didn't help.

"Earth to Lina".

Keira waves a hand in my face, "what, or rather who you daydreaming about?".

"No one" I say rather quickly and Vicky kicks me under the table, "you can tell them you know, it's won't do any harm. Well you might get teased a little" she says.

"A little? They're teasing me already and they have no idea" I protest and Georgia smirks, "can you please talk in English, I'd hate to miss out on what your saying" she says and I eyeball Vicky.

They let me off the hook as Vicky brings up another subject.

Mi amor 💗
How was training, princesa? I miss you x

Princesa 💜
It was good, although the girls are teasing me and Vicky thinks I should tell them about you. Miss you more x

Mi amor 💗
It's up to you. You know you can trust them x

Princesa 💜
That's pretty much what Vicky said x

Mi amor 💗
If you want to, just let me know and I'll FT you in case you get nervous x

Princesa 💜
Thank you. FT later anyway? x

Mi amor 💗
Of course x

I look from my phone, slightly aware of the fact that I was smiling but I look around and no one's paying attention to me.

"Catalina?".

"Huh?".

Vicky smiles at me, "let's get going chica".

*

Mi amor 💗 wants to FaceTime.

Accepted.

"Hola princesa".

The most beautiful face and smile appears on my screen, "how are you?" Patri asks but to be honest, she's sounds a little far away.

"Lina?! Lina?".

"Sorry" I shake my head, "you're just so beautiful, mi amor" I smile and Patri blushes, "so are you princesa".

Patri tells me about her day and we talk about how things are going with Barcelona and vice versa with City. Her voice is so calming that I could listen to it all day and not get bored.

"Did you tell your teammates?" she asks and I shake my head, "no, I didn't feel the time was right".

"Maybe when you go back after Christmas?" Patri suggests, "speaking of... are you looking forward to come back home?" she smiles. "Obviously, I can't wait to see my family..." I reply and the midfielder pouts, "and you as well, mi amor. I miss you more than anything".

"Good because I would have to end this call right now if you didn't" she smirks.

"You wouldn't".

Patri tips her head back and laughs and honestly, it's one of the best sounds in the world, "when you get here, I'm going be there waiting for you at the airport, I'm going to hug you and then I'm going to kiss you like no one's watching" she says.

"And then I'm going to take you to bed and you won't be able to leave".

It's so subtle but it's enough to ask her to change the subject.

"So how do you feel about this Arnold Clark business? You'll be playing against most of your teammates" Patri says, "should be fun. I haven't played against them yet and it'll be good preparation for the Euros, hopefully I make the team for both".

She frowns, "where's this coming from? You've cemented yourself on the team, Jorge's not going to kick you off".

"Well with Alexia, Aitana, Claudia etc there's a lot of talent going round and just because I've been in several squads doesn't mean he'll pick me this time round".

Patri sighs.

"Catalina, you are the best player I have played with, along with Ale and I can assure you, mi hermoso amor, you will be on that plane to, or rather back to England to play in that tournament".

"You think so" I smile.

"I know so".

*

"Sounded as though you had a nice time talking to Patri" Vicky smiles, plating up our dinner.

"I did. I do miss her though and I plan to spend every possible minute when I'm not with my family, with her" I explain, moving to the table.

"Camp not long enough for you?".

I shrug, "it's Christmas, I don't have to worry about the team or having to be as professional. We can actually get to know each other Vicky".

"You've been best friends since you were 15, what is there that you don't know?" she asks.

I frown, "you make that sound really bad V, we've done lots of things together and had plenty of long conversations about a long list of topics. The only difference will be that we're romantically involved and we're yet to slept together".

"Really? I thought it might have been an Ona situation and you did but never spoke about it" she says, "no" I shake my head.

"We have more self respect than that!".

Vicky smirks, "but I think it won't be long" she says and I throw the tea towel at her head.

*