Chapter VI

The campus enjoys a wide range of commodities, with the mall being the most popular leisure choice. It hosts all the most appealing and desired amusements, such as the karaoke or the 3D cinema. It can be said that this is designed in such a way so that we the students can enjoy a normal and happy living inside of a cage. 

There are also small hills with natural forest at the northern part of the campus, for those who enjoy more natural activities. And today, like the previous two days, I am heading towards the forest with my casual blue t-shirt and shorts. As of now, the blue sky is covered by small white clouds, so there is a somewhat mild daylight and a pleasant smooth wind. This feels good.

As I walk through the low vegetation inside the forest, I unconsciously touch my collar. Three days ago, I received the fateful collar with a red strap, delivered by two guards. It still looks like the one I have been wearing for eight years, except that it has the red strap instead of the orange one. On top of that, I am still suspended from classes. Not that it is a punishment. After walking for a while, the trees give in a cleared area, a spot perfect for camping some would say. As usual, Caesar is sitting there near a tree, wearing the school uniform. He also came there the past two days. Though this time he has something on his lap. It is reddish and looks fluffy. What is it, I wonder? I approach him while I keep staring with curiosity at that thing. Caesar evidently spots my presence, as the low vegetation creaks upon stepping on them.

"Greetings." Caesar salutes me while still sitting.

"Hello." I am still looking at that thing.

Now that I am close enough, I have a clear sight of what that thing is. A small fluffy reddish and orange fox-like creature sits comfortably on Caesar's lap. It has long wide ears and his tail is super big and fluffy. It is staring at me with its big round black eyes and tries to reach at me with those small little white paws.

SO. ADORABLE.

Hold on, do not embarrass yourself, Lorraine. Act cool and normal. There is no need to get hyped by this little cute creature.

"Where did you get this fennett?" wait. When did I squat? And why am I already petting the fennett?

The little creature starts to frantically crawl up from Caesar's lap to try to reach me. Or to reach the pettings. It is also making small bark noises. Looks like it is a puppy, no more than two months I think.

"I just found him here." Caesar is also petting his back, "his mother is nowhere to be seen."

"Maybe she died?" I am tired of squatting, so I sit, "What are you gonna do with him?"

"Not very sure." he looks at me, "Want to adopt him? You look happy."

"Hm? No, not really."

Crap. Was I really that evident? Well, the fennett is very cute. Oh, he is wiggling his fluffy tail, so adorable. It urges me to pet him even more. And his fur being so soft does not help at all.

"Are you sure? He seems happy with you too."

"Yeah, no." what a blatant lie, "And what about you?"

"My parents cannot afford the money."

They can't? So maybe he is not as rich as some lord or lady in the campus. I wonder how much money his parents are paying for this special tuition.

The fennett suddenly steps onto my lap and starts cuddling himself with my hand. I can feel how my heart beats quickly and my cheeks are burning with excitement. Stay calm, Lorraine. Do not get yourself so high for such banalities.

"Let us take him to the vet anyways." suggests Caesar.

I look at him startled, "Huh? And what about today's planning?"