chapter 2 - asians

2016, CANADA
9:45 PM

The truck's engine dies down after it makes a temporary stop in front of a coffee shop.

I am still hiding myself from them and is only waiting for the perfect time to get off the truck without them seeing me.

"You want to buy something?" A man asks from inside the driver's seat.

"I think a booz and a smoke, I need those now." He says in his bored tone.

"Why don't we just look for a nearest convenient store and stop by for the meantime?" The man reply.

"That is a good idea." I whisper to myself as I pray for them to go away.

"Okay, let's go." The two of them start patching the highway with their dirty boots and I thank the heaven's for granting me my wish.

Seconds later, I check on the two of them so that I would know if it's time for me to get off or if I'm not secured yet, they are walking passed the coffee shop and make their way to the convenient store that is five establishments away from us.

I grab the chance to go off the truck and wander inside the cafeteria when I saw them entered the store.

I go up to the girl who is wiping the glass panes of their entrance door. When she sees me approaching her, she points out to a signage beside her that says 'closed'.

I smile even before I reach her.

"I just want to ask something from you if that's okay with you." I said.

"Sure, what is it?" She asks me, finally giving the attention I needed at the moment.

"Do you know where this place is?" I show her the address Kate gave me.

"Oh, there." She points at the direction to the laundry shop to the right. It is located just two establishments away from the cafe, and now that she gives me idea, I can finally see the laundry shop visible in my eyes. The shop is a bit small compared to its neighboring establishments, no wonder why I didn't notice it right away.

"Thank you!" I bid my farewell and start to walk to the location of the laundry shop.

While I traverse from the cafe to the laundry shop, I study the place for awhile to memorize what civilization looks like. The mood here is so different than of the compound. That is because people here live in freedom and there's a very big difference from being free than being confined in what felt like an organization or a cult and your right to live in your own will is taken away from you.

"Good evening Sir!" I greet humbly when I reach the laundry shop.

"You finally made it." He says, coming towards me.

"Help yourself, daughter. Your flight is going to be early in the morning so I want you to prepare for it right now." I nod at the sudden kindness I didn't expect to get from the people I didn't know.

"How did you know, Kate?" I ask when I felt the need to examine him.

He looks at me, with the same smile Kate had on her face. "She is my regular customer." He answers shortly.

"I see." Whether it confuses me or not, I make sure to just do my thing here at the laundry to prepare for the flight when he reminded me about it.

I declutter my bag so I can get my replacement clothes. I tiptoe my way inside the cubicle and enjoy the soothing feeling of the fresh water on my skin.

I get out of the bathroom when I finish to freshen up myself. The old man from earlier is sewing something in his hand.

"Hey, that's my shirt." I approach him quickly.