fireworks

the day had turned to night, the house was filled with laughter as the 6 volleyball players played games, enjoying not only the company but also the snacks and beverages.

the game they were playing was a four player racing game, so Kiyoomi and Michinari were watching from the side.

the older libero was getting everyone a drink in the kitchen while the ace was leaning against the doorframe, watching a certain setter.

Kiyoomi adored the smile on the blonde's face. he wasn't watching the game, but he could tell what was happening based on Atsumu's expressions.

the way he burst into laughter when he managed to sabotage his brother, or the way he would pout when Osamu got revenge... it was adorable, and Kiyoomi couldn't help but smile. seeing Atsumu enjoy himself brought a feeling of pure happiness to the curly head's heart.

Michinari noticed this longing gaze and decided to bring it up: "so, Sakusa, ya and Atsumu seem to get along well."

the black haired boy snapped out of his thoughts and looked at the person talking to him. normally he would just ignore a stranger trying to talk to him, but this was a friend of Atsumu's, so he wanted to try his best.

"um, yeah, he's a great friend."

"is that it?" the shorter guy questioned, making Kiyoomi uncomfortable.

before he could say anything back, he felt someone place their hand on his shoulder.

"what's goin' on here?" the familiar soothing voice asked.

"oh nothin', just gettin' acquaintanced with yer mate, man", Michinari told the protective blonde.

"well, 'scuse us, I need to talk with Omi", Atsumu said before grabbing onto Kiyoomi's wrist and starting to pull him away.

the black haired boy was being led upstairs and out onto a balcony. the blonde let go of him and walked to the railing, leaning against it. Kiyoomi followed his lead, standing beside him as he slid down his face mask to breathe the cool air.

"so, was there something you wanted to talk about..?" he asked cautiously as he turned to look at his companion.

"oh, nah, I just felt like ya wanted to be saved from that situation", the blonde replied without making eye contact, "ya seemed uncomfortable."

"I was... it's nothing personal against your friends, but you know I don't like-", Kiyoomi was caught off.

"I know", Atsumu finally turned to look at him, "but now I feel guilty."

"why..?"

he felt the black eyes study the expression on his face, trying to understand the thought process.

"well, ya see, it makes me happy, knowin' how ya act with me is different from everyone else... it's like I'm special to ya, 'n I'm selfish, so I don't want anyone else to get this immense kindness from ya..."

the boy slowly looked away in shame as he spoke. Kiyoomi smiled slightly.

"you are special, you're my closest friend."