I look to Charlie and wait to see if he'll accept it or leave.

"Not an apology but I'm here to do my job" he says with his nose stuck in the air as he walks back over to the couch and takes a seat opposite Hex.

"Thank you Charlie" I say for the both of us as I take a seat beside Hex, my hand rubbing his bicep in comfort as his head remains in his hands.

I see the slight crack in Charlie's expression as he studies Hex and see's how truely distraught he is through the tough exterior he's trying to uphold.

"How'd you find out Mr. Pollar is in hospice? Did you run into him?" Charlie asks Hex. His tone changes as he thinks he'll have to write up another parole violation for Hex.

"No. Hex didn't see him, I did" I step in, bringing Charlie's eye's to me. "We moved Hex's mother into hospice today, turns out it was the same one Alex is in" I say quietly as I watch Hex from my peripheral.

"Right" Charlie nods "I'm assuming that's why you called me?" Hex nods and finally raises his eyes to meet Charlie's.

"What am I meant to do? Let my mum die by herself because of these stupid fucking parole conditions?" Hex rants again. Charlie's hard exterior doesn't change even as my own drops at Hex's words.

"Well, it'll take some time but I'm sure the court will be able to give an exception considering it's surrounding a loved one's death" Charlie says what Hex had mentioned earlier. The relief at the confirmation floods both of us as I feel Hex slump under my palm. Who knows how long it'll take to get though, Wyonna doesn't have much time left.

"Any idea on the time frame that'll take?" Hex asks, his tone finally becoming less hostile as hope rises in him.

"Could be up to five months" Charlie explains. Hex's fist shoots out and slams down on the wooden coffee table separating us from Charlie. The noise makes me jump but Charlie doesn't move. His mood once again plummets into darkness.

"Fuck!" Hex grunts. I resist the urge to reach out and caress his red knuckles as he reels his arm back into his lap.

Charlie watches us impassively through his thinned framed glasses. If you didn't know him it would look like he's judging us but we've interacted with Charlie long enough to know that's he's just assesssing the situation.

"How long has Mrs. Rose got left?" Charlie asks quietly, his tone as sympathic as he can get which isn't much besides the slight drop in his monotone voice.

I wait for Hex to answer but he doesn't so I answer for the both of us.

"A couple of months at best" I mumble. My hand moving to Hex's back and running up and down his spine in comfort.

A distant meow from Teddy can be heard from mums bedroom and I know he's sleeping on her bed, his favourite place to nap.

"Then it'll be quicker to just wait it out" Charlie exclaims. My stomach drops and I feel the air leave my lungs. Hex tenses under my palm and I feel his rush of emotion through our bond.

My mouth drops and I wait for Hex to lash out but he stays eerily calm although his hands clench into fists.

"Wait out my mothers death?" Hex talks through his teeth as his jaw clenches. I squeeze his bicep to remind him that I'm here and to keep calm.

"Don't be stupid" Charlie snaps "you're parole ends on the 8th of May Mr. Rose. Or did you forget?" I straighten my posture as I feel Hex freeze under my hand.

We had completely forgotten about Hex's parole. It had become so routine to us, the conditions he had to follow and Charlie dropping in. It had all become such a normal routine for us that we had completely forgotten that this isn't how we are meant to live life forever.

"Oh my god" I mumble as Hex remains quiet "oh my god, we forgot".

Hex's quietness remains as thoughts race through his mind. I can feel it in our bond that he's confused, slightly shocked and a little embarrassed at having forgotten his own parole date.

"You... forgot?" Charlie asks like he can't believe it.

"Y-Yeah, a lot has been going on recently" I explain. Charlie accepts it with a hesitant nod, I guess he hasn't been in this situation before.

Hex stands and walks into the kitchen and disappears around the corner. Charlie and I sit in silence as we listen to Hex opening cupboards and glasses banging before the tap turns on as he fills a glass with water.

I wait silently for him to say something, anything but he doesn't and a little while later he is walking back into the lounge room and takes a seat beside me again.

"Shit" he runs his hand through his hair, a smile of stupidity on his face like he can't believe what he's being told. "Shit" he repeats.

A sudden thought enters my mind as the date of Hex's parole ending rolls over and over again from the back to the front of my head.

"Hex, that's the day after the wedding" I suddenly exclaim.

Hex turns to me, making eye contact with me for the first time since Charlie arrived. His face appears lighter, his cheeks have the colour back in them and his eyes have that sparkle back.

"Wedding?" I hear Charlie mumble but I don't pay attention to it as Hex and I share a moment, it breaks when Hex's hand finds my knee and he squeezes it.

"Thanks Charlie" Hex stands, wiping his sweaty palms on his pants.

He waits for Charlie to stand so he can walk him to the door but Charlie doesn't stand.

He pats his bag instead.

"I was going to drop in tomorrow but I just figured I'd do it tonight" He unzips his bag and pulls out everything he needs to test Hex. "You're not done just yet".

"Of course you did" Hex mumbles, his tone dropping again as he retakes his seat.

I leave the two of them together as Charlie starts to work on Hex.