Chapter 41

It was the first Saturday after Allie had been discharged, and Daniel left her with Max and Margie while he dropped the girls at their gymnastics classes. Max came to the car to save Daniel getting the girls out, and he opened the back door to see them. Allie had kissed Daniel and got out of the passenger side by the time Max had turned to help her, and he was relieved to see her moving normally. They waved at the car and Allie grabbed Max's arm to follow him into the house. "You look good Allie, no-one would know you'd just gotten out of the hospital, it's amazing." Allie cuddled his arm, "I'm fine, only problem is I can't pick Rose up for a few weeks." Margie was in the kitchen and reached out to hold Allie. "How you feeling Allie honey?" Allie nodded smiling, "Just telling Max, I'm totally fine, just can't lift Rose for a few weeks which is a massive pain because it means I can't get her in and out of the car on my own, or stop her doing something random like running off or climbing." Margie laughed, "Yeah, she's a livewire! We can all help though yeah." Allie hugged her and Margie said, "Let's take this coffee down to the garden, it's a beautiful morning and you can relax and catch up. Max hasn't had his Allie fix at work."

They sat on the patio furniture and Max swung Allie's feet onto his lap, "There, relax and let us look after you." She grinned and leaned back on the cushions as he passed her the coffee cup, "I could get used to this. Your garden furniture is amazing. If ours was this comfortable I'd never get my bottom off it. So Max, what have I missed at work? Is Robyn okay?" Max shook his head, "Yeah, she's a bit quiet, but she's stopped walking around looking like she wants to rip everyone's head off." Margie frowned at him "It's not like she could help it Max." He grinned, "Don't worry, I've been nice. And I got Daniel when she got really upset because he's more in touch with his feminine side than I am." Allie laughed out loud, "You're so funny."

She drank some coffee and said, "I feel bad, none of you or Robyn for that matter have said anything, but I suspect something about Jeremy being with me the night I had surgery led to her meltdown. By the way, did Dan tell you I met his ex-wife?" Max nodded but Margie said "No, I didn't hear this! Where did you meet her?" Allie grinned, "Jeremy let me go down to the cafeteria in the hospital for lunch with him the day before I was discharged because Dan was busy in court with Max. She was there, in the hospital for some sort of meeting." Margie leaned forward "What was she like?" Allie said in a serious tone, "Margie, she was monstrous." Max laughed loudly as Allie continued, "I swear Margie, she's about as far away from Robyn as you could ever imagine. For a start she's like five eleven, and looks like she could probably pick up an average sized man up and throw him across the room. Obviously she can't help that, but what she could help was how flipping incredibly mean and unpleasant she was. Jeremy eventually told her to F off. I just sat there with my mouth hanging open in shock!" Margie was crying laughing and looked at Max who said, "See why I've missed her in the office?" Allie smiled, "I had to ask him how he ended up marrying her. He went with young and stupid."

Daniel appeared coming around the house to the garden having heard the laughter. He kissed Margie and Max got up and let him take his place next to Allie saying, "Sit Dan, I'll go get us all more coffee." Daniel smiled and said "Thanks, we've got ninety minutes before we need to collect them. Would you be telling them about Jeremy's ex by any chance?" Allie nodded. Margie had recovered and was wiping her eyes, "God that was so funny Allie." Max came with a mug for Daniel, a fresh pot of coffee, milk and some cake on a tray. Daniel grinned and grabbed cake, "Open wide Allie" She let him feed her a chunk before continuing, "Oh course she was not impressed with me at all. Jeremy corrected her and said Robyn was a paralegal not a secretary, then he felt the need to tell her I'm a partner in the same firm. There I am Margie, hospital gown flapping, hospital socks, zero make-up, hair straight out of the shower all over the place. She looked at me like I was something unpleasant she'd stepped in on the street, and said something like I didn't look the kind of lawyer she'd employ. I pointed out I normally wear clothes and even shoes when I'm working, and she did not like it one little bit. I got the impression she can dish this stuff out but no-one dares give her anything back." Margie was crying laughing again and said, "Stop, I'm going to be sick. Oh Allie, what a nightmare." Daniel turned to Max, "I told you it was funny." Allie drank some more coffee, "Anyway, hopefully I'll never have to encounter her again, and let's face it, hopefully if I did I'd be wearing clothes and she wouldn't recognise me."