Chapter 20

Lunch was relaxed and fun, and when they left Allie and Max returned to the hotel meeting room which was booked for the rest of the day to call Daniel before he set off for the office. He didn't answer the first time, so Allie said since it was before seven in the morning in L.A. she would run back to her room and try and call Michael. Max said he'd send a message to Sara back in the office to book them on the later flight out of London the following day. Michael was in the gym but he picked up straight away and he beamed, "Saw your message beautiful. When you coming home to me Allie?"
"Tomorrow husband" she laughed, "too late to get out tonight and Max doesn't want the stress of rushing for the early flight. He's just messaging Sara to get the flights booked now. We should leave about four in the afternoon here, and land home seven ish." Her eyes lingered on him and making her blush he smirked back, "We can both both get hot and sweaty Allie when you get home. How's Max?" Allie smiled fondly, "He's fine, we'll be able to just have dinner together tonight without being in work mode which will be a relief. Listen I'd better go, Max wants to call Dan and update him on the final changes to the deal and I want to quickly run 'round the shops. Call me later if you're free. "Michael sighed, "Stuck in meetings almost all day, but if I get a few minutes in between before you go to bed I'll call."

Allie made her way back to Max, and as soon as she appeared he clicked to call Daniel on the laptop. He was still getting dressed when he answered, buttoning up his shirt, "Hey, sorry, Holly had collected Emmie, so I was in the shower when you called before. So the deal's done! I was half expecting them to drag it out until Friday." Max nodded, "They would have done but Allie left them no room to argue, so we're coming home in time for dinner tomorrow." Daniel laughed, "Thank goodness. I love Michael but Emmie thinks he's moving in 'cause he's been here every night pining for you." Allie smiled, "I just called him, one more night and we'll be home. I'm just going to shoot out now and do some shopping before dinner, so tell Emmie I'll bring her something back." Daniel grabbed his tie, "And don't forget her Daddy was promised European chocolate in compensation for providing Robyn as a substitute coffee partner, she's miserable as fuck first thing in the morning!" Allie laughed and Max shook his head, "As will I be Friday due to jet lag so be warned. " Allie got up, "See you Friday Daniel, I'm going to run so I can be back for dinner." She waved at Daniel and bent to kiss Max. Turning back to the screen when she'd closed the door he said, "Jesus Dan, she's been amazing, clients love her. This would definitely have dragged on without her, but I'll be glad to leave. Neither of us belong in London."

Allie managed to get Emmie a few outfits as well as some fun stuff, and she dropped onto the small supermarket near the hotel on the way back to load up on Michael and Daniel's favourite British chocolate bars. She was back by six and she messaged Max to meet at seven to go for dinner at the brasserie on the dock nearby. Neither of them were really hungry due to the late lunch, and the weather had turned cold and wet, so by nine they were back in the hotel lounge relaxing with drinks.

They were chatting about the next social worker visit and Max asked, "So, no pressure at all, but what do you think you'll want to do after the adoption? You know the firm's policy is six weeks on full pay anyway, and I'm guessing you'll want to take a while longer." Allie nodded, "Yeah, we've been talking about it a bit. Thing is we don't know what age of child we'll get or how I'll feel about leaving said child to go to work. She wrinkled her nose and looked at him, "But I guess that's the same for anyone who has a child normally. I think I'll want at least another couple of months though to help them settle. Will that be a problem Max?" He put his arm around her as they sat on the couch and pulled her close, "Allie honey, whatever you want to do will be fine. A few months is nothing in the span of a career and you are a valuable asset to HRM." He pulled back and looked her in the eye, "But you are more important to me as family yeah, so anything you need to do is okay, we'll figure it out." Allie hugged him, "Thanks Max, that means so much."