Chapter 48

Max told them to head home but they both decided it was just as easy to carry on as they both had things to get through. When Allie was dropping Rose at pre-school the next day a couple of photographers were waiting as she got the toddler out of her car seat. Allie panicked as she held the little girl's face into her chest. Another child's Dad who she'd met at a couple of parties came over to block them and help her move into the building. As soon as the door was closed she released Rose and told her to hang her stuff up on the peg. Turning to the guy who helped her she said shakily, "Thanks Darren. I don't know what I'd have done if you hadn't come over then. I can't believe they were waiting there like that." He looked at her with sympathy, "Hey, no problem, just glad you and Rose are okay. I don't think they got much of a picture. Do you know you're trending on social media?" Allie felt her heart sink and shook her head, "Would you mind walking me back to my car?" Darren nodded "Sure, just hope they don't take my picture and make my wife mad." Allie wanted to cry at the implication, but was more focused on getting to her car and out of line of sight.

She started driving and considered ringing Dan, but decided to get to the office first. Parking in the garage she made her way to the offices, distractedly saying Hi as she passed reception. Max and Dan were waiting in her office and she couldn't stop the tears as soon as she'd closed the door. She told them what had happened and Daniel looked alarmed, holding her in his arms and reassuring her that Emmie had gone into school without incident. Max stroked her hair, "Allie my love, it's all over social media, this so called documentary. We've just called Zack and he's coming over later this morning to discuss how to deal with it." Allie wiped her eyes "Max, I don't want this to affect the firm, upset any current or future clients. It's an absolute disaster." He took her face in his hands "Listen Allie, it's not. Trust me, some social media posts peddling lies about your private life won't put off hard-nosed clients who want lawyers who can get a deal done. It'll die down like all news always does." He let her face go and put one hand on each of their shoulders, "You two, you will get through this."

Max sighed, "I do think it would be a good idea to have someone with you Allie when you go anywhere, just for now, especially if you have the kids with you. You two go and get coffee for us and I'm going to ring John. As they passed the paralegal area, Amanda put her phone down and looked at Allie, who didn't notice. She turned around to Liam and Carly when they'd gone and said, "Okay, so I feel like I'm in a real life episode of some sort of reality TV show, none of you are talking about the fact your co-workers are breaking the internet, and one of them has clearly been crying all morning. What the hell!" Liam glanced at Carly and nodded saying quietly, "Let's do lunch Amanda and we can talk."

John was alarmed when Max told him what had happened to Allie and readily agreed to making sure she had company when she was out for the foreseeable. He messaged Dan and Allie to say he'd come with Allie for drop off the next day because it was his day off anyway.

Daniel had updated Zack the day before on what his Mom had said and when he arrived at eleven he started to outline their options, "Look, we know we can't stop them making this, and we can't stop any of the people who have agreed to take part. You could take a path of offering to be interviewed, co-operate with the production in exchange for editorial control to a degree. However, guys I'd have to caution you, this is like Pandora's Box, once you open it you'll have let the world in, and there's no going back. On the other hand it's a chance to put your side across. Allie, what you thinking?" Allie didn't hesitate. Holding Daniel's hand tightly she said, "What I'm thinking Zack is that some people, regardless of what we say, and how much empirical evidence we provide to the contrary, will always want to believe Carrie was a wronged wife whose evil British love rival stole her husband and child, driving her to temporary insanity. So I don't think we should give this programme the oxygen of our participation. At the moment it's very clear it's a one sided view. Anyone with an ounce of sense will be watching thinking, hang on this is only Carrie's story. I think we should issue a brief written statement, where we can make some lines in the sand of our own. Beyond that, I'd prefer to say nothing. Dan, what do you think?"