30. On Her Own

Irene shut her eyes terrified and...........

BAM!

**************

Gunshot is probably the worst sound one can ever hear. At that moment, when you hear this sound, all you think about is death and the pain you will experience until you are gone. The blood. Oh, my God, the blood. Irene opened her eyes in fear and looked at the ground in front of her. There was no blood. Where did the bullet hit her? Why did she not feel pain? What the hell had happened? She looked up in horror and saw Naomi look down on her disparagingly. Wait. What?

"Oh, bummer", Naomi stared at her with empty eyes. "I missed. It was such a nice car."

Irene snapped her head back, the whole world swayed around her. Fucking sedatives. Indeed, Naomi had missed. The car behind Irene had a hole in the door. She slowly turned to look at Naomi but she also glanced at the bar. Two men were standing behind the glass, both looked terrified but one of them was holding a phone. He was definitely calling the police. 

"The sedative wasn't strong enough, huh?", Naomi raised the gun and scratched her chin with it. She was practically insane. How could Irene not see it? Naomi smiled nonchalantly. 

"Tell me your real name...", Irene was buying time. She grabbed the side of the car and used all her strength to stand up from the ground. Her knees were weak but she had to be strong. 

"This is my real name", Naomi narrowed her eyes, toying with the gun. The flame of vitality had disappeared from her gaze. She was clearly unstable. 

"Why didn't you kill me?", Irene supported her weight against the car, unable to stand still on her own. A new wave on nausea washed over her but she restrained herself from throwing up. 

Naomi smirked mirthlessly. "Trust me, I want to. But I just want to look at you for the last time...", she sighed like a lovestruck teenager. "You're the most beautiful thing..."

"Not as beautiful as you...", Irene said, the corners of her lips curled up in a crooked smile. Oh, the lies she had to say to get away. It was revolting.

".....Really?", Naomi's gaze suddenly turned so innocent. Ah, she swallowed the bait so effortlessly. "You think I'm beautiful?"

"Who would have thought otherwise?", Irene tilted her head to the side, the dizziness subsided a bit. "Why don't you come near me? I'm unable to walk and I'm dying to kiss you..."

Naomi narrowed her eyes suspiciously. Ah, Irene had gotten too far. Yeah, her words didn't sound so believable. She had to fix the mistake and fast.

"I will never forgive you for trying to sedate me though", she threw a glare toward the red-head. "You didn't have to, sweetheart... You saw it yourself. I was attracted to you since we first met..."

"No, you don't understand", Naomi shook her head frantically. She seemed like she was losing control. "I had to kill you. I had to. I have to...", she winced, then frowned but then her face turned to stone. No expression whatsoever. Irene shivered. 

"You don't have to...", she mumbled without even batting her lashes. 

"I do. I have to kill you...", Naomi brought the gun to her own face and traced her jawline with the tip of the gun. Her gaze was empty again. "Why did you have blood tests?"

What? Irene's brows furrowed. What did all this have to do with her fucking blood tests? A few days earlier Irene had gone for a blood test because she felt weak and had severe headaches.

"I wasn't feeling so well", Irene responded. "Did you want to send me to my grave earlier?", she mocked at her. 

"I found the test results on your desk a while before I left today", Naomi's frustration was towering for some reason. Her jaw was clenched and her gaze suddenly filled with raging fire. "It would make me feel better if you were actually dying."