16. Minefield

"The genetic test indicates that you were the father of the fetus...."

"Oh, good God..."

How could he say that to Irene now?

**************

When Sherlock unlocked himself from the bedroom and exited he found Irene and John still chatting about the case. He froze at the doorframe and observed Irene, deep in thought. His face was clear of any emotions but his mind was in turmoil. They would become parents. The thought was appealing but... it was only a thought. The reality was obviously nothing like a fantasy. He was a sociopath and she was not mother material. They could not be good parents. No, they could not. 

Irene then laughed and caught Sherlock's attention again. She was sharing a joke with John who chuckled in return. How could he say that to Irene? She deserved to know but it was so extremely difficult. It was almost impossible to say it out loud. It would deffinitely break her. 

"John", Sherlock cleared his throat. He earned his attention at once. "May I have a word with you?"

Irene frowned as she quickly noticed Sherlock's discomfort. "Is everything alright?"

"Yes, Irene, everything's fine", Sherlock responded coldly. "My brother needs assistance with something and only John and I can help him. Will you come with me?", he turned to John.

"Of course", John nodded and put on his coat. "Irene, can you please watch Rosie?"

"Yes, I can", she replied but her gaze was stuck to Sherlock. Something was off, she could feel it. Slowly she neared her partner and placed her hands on his chest, looking up at him. "Are you sure everything's fine?"

Sherlock leaned and planted a featherlight kiss on her forehead. "Yes. I am sure. I'll see you later", he slipped away from her and the duo exited the appartment. 

Irene remained there, staring at the door but then she sighed deeply and went to the bedroom to check up on the baby. Rosie was on the ground, playing with her toys. Such a beautiful sight. Irene smiled warmly. It would be great to have a daughter like her. A daughter from Sherlock. Her smile grew wider. Irene never liked kids but the thought of having a baby with Sherlock seemed quite wonderful. 

She leaned down and raised the kid from the ground, holding her in her arms. Rosie chuckled and wrapped her little arms around Irene's neck. 

"Are you hungry, munchkin?"

Rosie nodded her adorable head with a huge grin on her face. "Y-yes...", she mumbled.

She was so precious. Her little words were like a cure for Irene's broken heart. "Alright, let's go to eat then."

"Ba-na-na", Rosie babble. It was her favorite fruit and apparently her favorite word. "Ba-na-na", she repeated while Irene took her to the kitchen and settled her on her high chair. 

"Banana it is, then", Irene secured Rosie in her high chair and started preparing a fruit cream with banana, apricots and pears. She poured milk and added oatmeal and it was ready. 

Rosie ate it all and then Irene took her in her arms and went to the bedroom where she read a story to her. The child fell asleep in no time and Irene kept her in her arms, falling asleep as well. 

The noise from the door that opened woke Irene, God knows how many hours later. "Oh, God, I fell asleep...", Irene breathed out, rubbing her eyes with one hand. Her other hand was still holding Rosie close who was still asleep. 

It was John. "I think it's time to take her back home", he said in low voice. "It's afternoon."

"Really?", Irene sighed. "Alright...", she tried to move away but Rosie clung to her chest, her small fists were holding Irene's nightgown tightly.