Had Lucy fallen asleep? Was this another dream, in which she glimpsed the Great Lion?

But as the Lion leapt over to catch the Telmarine- who had gotten too close, while Lucy had been lost in her musing- she realised it wasn't a dream.
It was reality, and Aslan was there, standing in a clearing, smiling His Lion-smile and bathed in sunlight.

Lucy's heart was full enough to explode, and she almost fell as she clambered down from Destrier- and then she did fall, as she collided into one of her greatest comforts, digging her fingers into His soft fur, both of them falling over onto the hug, embracing.
He was so warm and comforting, and His light Lion-chuckle was music to her ears. It had been Him she'd seen. Of course, it had.
She felt fully rested suddenly, ready to jump up and do cartwheels all around the forest.
She contented herself, however, with extricating herself from the Lion and sitting up- a bright smile on her face, easily rivalling the sunshine.
"I knew it was You!" She trilled, smiling even wider as she saw that there was a smile on His maw as well. "The whole time- I knew it!"

"I knew you would, My dear one." Aslan said softly, love in His deep voice. "I waited for you, to come to Me, for long."

"I wanted to come." She said plaintively, the smile fading. "But the others- they didn't- they couldn't believe me."

"That ought not have stopped you from coming to Me. Why did it, dear one?"

"I- I-"
He was not wrong. Why hadn't she set out to find Him, the moment she had realised it was Him she had seen?
She was capable enough of riding through a wood, accompanied or not- but she had acquiesced glumly to the others' lack of belief, and not fought to find Aslan, as she should have.
"I- I was suppose I was afraid, Aslan."
Narnia was so different than it had been- and the hope she had had in Aslan's return, it had begun to dim. That had scared her, too.
"I was scared to come alone. And part of me- it hoped that You would come just like last time, roaring in to save us and be our miracle."

"Things never happen the same way twice, dear one." He said gently.

She had been worried He would be angry at her, that she had not come looking. But He wasn't angry. She was angry at herself, though. If she had just felt and been as Valiant as her title...
"If I'd come earlier," She began quietly, realising another thing, but much worse, "everyone who died-" that raid, that awful raid, "everyone who suffered- could I have stopped all that?"

For a moment, Aslan did not answer, and Lucy had the terrifying thought that she could have stopped it all.

"We can never know what might have happened, my child." His voice was still as gentle and soothing as ever, and her terror and anxiety began to leave her. "It is best to not dwell on the realities we never see- and look on the future we will receive with joy and renewed faith."

The hope in her was enough to blind now.
"Does that mean-" She scrambled to her feet, her eyes shining, "You'll- You'll help?'

"Of course, dear one. As will you."

Would she? Could she? Living up to being the Valiant was harder than ever.
Her voice was too quiet as she replied, "I wish I was braver."

"If you were any braver, you would be a Lioness." A mild growl accompanied His words, and Lucy felt heartened- and then even more so, remembering her dagger. "Now- climb on My back, I must get you to the forest by Beruna-"

Her brows furrowed, "Will You not come with me?"
But then what sort of help did He mean? Her siblings- their Narnia- they needed Aslan! He had to be there!

"I will be there, dear child, and I will help with all that I am." Aslan spoke the truth, as Lucy climbed on. "But I have another miracle to find before I can."