First came ignorance

The trip was monstrous, with Annabeth and Sophia fighting the whole way there. Meanwhile, Thalia and I could do little to nothing to get them to shut up. It was almost the second day, and the long drive made my body ache. Up ahead I noticed a sign for an upcoming gas station, and then I glanced at the amount of fuel we had.

"We're going to the next gas station," I stated over the bickering girls. Annabeth glared but gave a short nod while Sophia smiled.

"Awesome! can we get some snacks?" Annabeth groaned and turned to glare at her. "No! this isn't a road trip it's a quest!"

Thalia finial snapped and turned to stare dead on at both. "Both of you shut up!" I closed my mouth tight to hold back a snicker and watched through the rearview mirror.

"A bit of food is a good idea, so I agree with Sophia. I'm hungry too." Thalia commented, turning to face the road ahead again.

"I think we should take this more seriously," Annabeth mumbled.

"I know, but going on it without food is an awful idea," Sophia remarked. Annabeth fell silent. At this point, I believe she didn't have a response. I glanced back and then at the road again, seeing nothing but an empty road ahead. As we neared the gas station, I spotted a billboard advertising a buffet dinner. Sophia caught sight of it too and gave a small cheer as she smacked her face against the window.

"Ooh! Let's go there. I haven't been to a buffet before!"  Annabeth let out a frustrated huff as Sophia started to chat. I pulled into the gas station and hopped out of the truck before turning it off. All the girls remained inside and continued to chat about the buffet as I refilled the tank. 

"Let's go get some food," Thalia said. I obliged and started heading in the direction of the buffet. A few miles up ahead on the empty road, stood the dinner. I sighed with relief and parked the truck. Inside was almost empty except for an elderly couple and the waitress helping the elder couple.

"Take a seat anywhere!" The waitress called out waving her pen to show her around the old-fashioned restaurant. I could see the food stands from the entrance. Almost three stalls of food and a smaller one with a handful of desserts. "Eat what you can and let's go," Thalia whispered to us. "Something feels off about this place," She finished before going off to grab a plate. The others followed suit and quickly fixed themselves a plate with a bit of everything before going off to sit. I grabbed random food and quickly made my way towards the others only to notice the booth full.

"I'll go sit somewhere else," I informed them and went off to sit at a two-person table. I was eating comfortably until I noticed the waitress standing by my table with a sweet smile on her face.

"You came here with that group of girls no?" She asked while taking the seat across from me.

"Um yeah, we're going to visit family," I responded, lying smoothly.

"I see..." She came to a pause before continuing are they all your cousins?" After her question, I paused for a moment to study her. She was pretty, with dirty blond hair, soft blue eyes, and freckled cheeks. For a moment, Annabeth's face appeared in front of me, but it was quickly brushed away as the waitress leaned forward to place her face closer to mine.

"You know..." She started before falling silent for a moment.

"You're quite handsome," A soft blush embraced her round cheeks as she clasp her hands together. The girl's gaze dropped to her hands as she twirled her thumps. 

"Actually," With a glance at her name tag, I smiled and nodded my head as I leaned back into the chair and placed my fork down.

"I'm flattered," I began, "But, one of those girls is my girlfriend," Lucy, the waitress blushed even more before glancing away. A look of disappointment crossed her soft features before she gave me an understanding nod.

"It's alright, I'm sorry for assuming- of course, you're taken!" Embarrassed she quickly stood up almost knocking her chair down and in the process tripping on her own feet. I quickly sprinted up and caught her in my arms. 

"Be careful," I muttered softly and helped her stand back to her feet. This action of mine caused Annabeth to give an outburst.

"Percy!" She shouted, sauntering towards us with puffed out cheeks and tear-red eyes. "How could you!" Her fist made contact with my chest.

"You cheating son of a-" Before she could hit me again. I caught her wrist and turned to look at the girl behind me. Honestly, she looked terrified as her gaze caught mine on her. 

"I'm sorry!" Lucy apologized almost bowing her head.

I looked away and turned back to the angry Annabeth."Let's break up!" Annabeth snarled at me. Oddly, anger boiled in my chest as I dropped her wrist and took a step back.

"Fine!" I gritted,

"First came ignorance,"  I grimaced as she continued to belittle me.

"Fine, then you won't mind me doing this!" I repeated myself before speaking the other words. My body moved on its own before I turned my body and grabbed the girl behind me, wrapped my arms around her shoulders gave lingered my lips over her cheeks. From behind, this looked very intimate and that was confirmed when Annabeth's breath hitched and she started giving small growls of anger. Lucy stood still under my grasp as she stared at me with wide eyes.

"I'm sorry," I whispered to her softly as she blushed, and stepped back before rushing towards the restaurant's kitchen. I lifted my gaze and noticed the curious gazes of all the other customers. My actions were clear, but now this quest became a pain in my ass. I signed and rubbed my arm. "I'm going to the truck, finish up and meet me there," I spoke out knowing the other girls would hear me loud and clear. Finally, after years together, Annabeth and I split. Regret filled my chest as I angrily stepped out of the restaurant and dashed toward our broken-down truck. The feeling felt liberating, but the years wasted on her, the energy. Everything felt so pointless right now. So, I sat in the truck. No tears came out, just silence.