Chapter 39: A Pleasant Surprise

Start from the beginning

Micah drove them to the prison while Mariana kept still as a turtle. Her heart pounded and paced itself to the speed of the journey. She watched as they each building they passed, brought her one step closer to the prison. She admitted to herself she was a bit nervous of seeing Pamela again after the last time.

"Okay so the plan is I drop you there and then my mother will come and get you because you want to talk to her about something?" Micah said.

"Yep," Mariana piped up. She was quite excited that Crystal agreed to meet up with her afterward. After all, she needed some quality as mother and daughter-in-law. It was the closest thing she had to a mother.

"Alright, I hope everything goes well," he said as he pulled up in front of the prison institution. He unlocked the car door and kissed her for good luck.

"Lemme know if you need help with anything."

"I will!" She said up and got out. She waved as he drove away, leaving a trail of smoke puffing out the car's bum.

With her purse clutched tightly in her hand, she walked towards the entrance. She went inside and into the visiting area. She sat down where the other visitors were and waited.

She had a thumb war with herself and her leg twitched a little. Seeing all the inmates, in their distinctive orange suits, reminded her of when she went to the prison Xavier got put in the first time. It was make sure he was still there and not lurking in the shadows. She only managed to do this twice. As looking into the lecherous thirst, oozing out of Xavier's sadistic, salivating face, paralyzed her with fear and left her sleepless for days.

When shivered in disgust and hunched her body together. Then she saw Pamela walk out, her hands joined together in front. Her face was scratched and marked with roughness, and it fell towards the cold stone ground. Her ponytail sadly sweeper the air and Mariana waved to get her attention.

Pamela sat down quietly. A brisk wind blew out of her nostrils and for a moment, she looked annoyed. But from the long frown that stretched upon her lips, the dark circles encasing her eyes, she was exhausted.

She was silent for a few minutes and stared at the table. It was there was a block of awkwardness placed between them, like a glass.

Pamela thumped her head down and released a huge grown. Mariana didn't know what to say or do, so she just lightly poked her hair.

"Er hi Pamela," Mariana stuttered out awkwardly.

Pamela lift up her face and sat up. She scratched her head as if she was trying waking herself up.

"Sorry I'm not focused, I'm just really drained today." She sighed and massaged her temples.

"Oh, how come?"

"We'll all I've been doing is weeping in my cell every night and not sleeping at all," Pamela said and rubbed her eyes.

"Oh I'm sorry."

"It's alright. Anyway, there was something I forgot to give you." She reached in and got out some papers stuffed in her bra. She then unfurled it and placed it in front of Mariana.

"Here's a copy of everything I gave to Mona," Pamela said and nudged them across.

Mariana picked them up and her hand and examined them. Her eyes filled with water like a cup looking at all the information.

Sarah Harris.

That was the fake name Mona used. There was other documents for Electra and the kids but finally having this in her hands was like huge relief washing over her. Like a door was shut forever in their investigation and a new one had been opened.

"Thank you so much Pamela," Mariana said and pressed the papers close, like they were going to run away.

"No problem." Pamela smiled weakly. "I hope you can find your kids."

"Thanks and I'm sorry about what happened to your fam—"

Pamela held her hand up and shook her head for her to stop; because the mention was too painful to hear. Mariana got the hint as she watched her head duck down and her hands held her hair tightly, like she was holding onto everything she had left.

She got up and stood while Pamela's hands veiled her face and wept silently, her palms catching her tears like a basket.

"Um... so I guess I'll see you around?"

"Yeah... see you." Pamela bore her head up and wiped her nose nosily. She waved her off, and Mariana said one final goodbye before walking away, feeling awkward and bad from watching her cry.

When Mariana was out, she texted Crystal that she was ready to be picked up. First, she'll go hand this in to the police and then spend some time with her.