Chapter 8: Followed

Mariana pushed Axel in his stroller while Elisa held onto one handle and a black Chanel purse. They walked with Leilani who held onto Mateo's hand. They were all going shopping at a mall on a Saturday as a little day out.

"So where should we go first?" Mariana asked, her sweaty hands gripped the handle tightly, as if she was holding on for dear protection. They were in the middle of the mall. The growing number of people made her heartbeat accelerate, as if some enemy of hers was hiding among them, waiting to attack. But still, she was determined to have a good time.

"Hmm... how about clothes?" Leilani suggested. Her hair flowed and dyed glossy black like a raven. It wavered and danced divinely as she held head up high.

"Alright then." Mariana grinned, but it shakily got destroyed as she looked reluctantly towards the clothing store. She quickly checked on Axel who sipped on his sippy cup. Her hands caressed him as Elisa skipped happily beside her.

"Mommy, can we go to McDonald's?" Mateo asked. His voice was faint but pleasant, and his hands were kept tucked in their pockets. He was now incredibly tall and big for his age. He towered over Elisa and Axel when they stood together, with his silky, black locks in full bloom.

"Sure, if your good the whole way then we can go, okay my trésor?"

"Okay!" Mateo exclaimed, with a wide grin spread around his face. He kicked his legs up as Leilani held onto him firmly.

"I'm gonna get burger," Elisa announced.

"I wanna get a toy," Mateo said.

"I want mommy get me big burger," Elisa mumbled like a baby. She giggled as her small hoops jingled around her ears.

"Then I'm gonna take your burger Elisa." Mateo grinned evilly.

"No! My burger!" Elisa quickly punched his arm and then ran into the clothing shop which they approached. Mateo ran after her as the two women followed.

The shop had a rose ceiling, brilliantly lit with gold lights. Stacks of clothes stood in order as they weaved themselves around the store. Mateo and Elisa went and saw some shirts but were still in their sight.

Mariana picked up a decent blouse and held it against her chest. The transparent ends stopped above her waist, and it looked like it would go well with a rose gold necklace. But it looked too plain so she placed it back.

"Hey chérie, what do you think about this?" Leilani called her attention. She had a black velvet skirt that danced in the air. It was lengthy but it looked like someone that loved the night would wear.

"Looks nice. I think that suits you," Mariana replied, glancing over. Her eyes skimmed down the outfit and she could just imagine Leilani wearing it.

"You think?" She looked slightly hesitant as her lips were still developing their opinion.

"Yeah, you should definitely buy it." Mariana then walked over with a supporting smile.

"Hmm, maybe I'll get it." She then tapped her feet. Then her hips swayed to the side a little, as if tasting the waters with how it looked on her waist. She had enough and slumped it on her arm. She then wandered behind and picked up a pair of black jeans.

"I also might get these." Leilani displayed them to her.

"Ooh! They would look so good on you!" Mariana exclaimed, "where did you find them? I want to get a pair myself."

"Just here," Leilani said as she folded the jeans and tucked them under her arm.

Mariana seized some for herself and then turned around. "So how's it like being a nurse?"