PROLOGUE

"Ayanokouji-kun, do you have a moment?"

She came. She was here. It was terrifying. I was pretending to nap at the gym with Ambipom when the devil approached me. 

Even though my eyes were closed, I understood. I could feel the devil's presence as she waited for her slave to awaken. So, as a slave, how exactly could I get out of this situation?

My computer-like brain instantly executed all the calculations to arrive at the answer I most needed.

Conclusion: I'd pretend not to hear her. I had dubbed this the "Sleeping Strategy." If she were a kind girl, then she would say something like, "Aw, well, there's nothing to be done. I'd feel bad to wake you, so I'll forgive you. ★" "If you don't get up, I'll kiss you!" would also be okay.

"If you do not awaken within three seconds, I will bestow additional punishment upon you."

'What do you mean, 'punishment'?' I thought to myself.

Even if I knew that if I don't abandon my "Sleeping Strategy" and yielded to her threats of force, I'd be punished, I still offered some resistance by not waking up.

"*Sigh* So, you aren't going to wake up, are you?" she said.

As she said that, I could hear her footsteps sound as if she was leaving. Did she just accept the fact that I was sleeping? While I was thinking about it, I heard a faint click. Before I knew it, she released her partner Pokemon.

"Toxicroak, Brick Break!"

"Fake Out, now!"

Sensing that I'm in danger right now, I immediately woke up and commanded Ambipom as Toxicroak was about to attack me. Ambipom dashed through and slapped Toxicroak's face with both of his tails. While it's true that Ambipom rarely used its hands due to its tails being so adept at handling and doing things, I still think it has its purposes. 

While Toxicroak flinched, in the corner of my eye I saw a teacher heading in our direction. Oh right. The reason we are here at the gym right now is that they are holding pokemon battles right now. Some students are coming our way to watch as well. Normally, we won't have an official pokemon battle without a referee or a teacher. But this battle started very suddenly, so it can't be helped. Signaling us to continue, I decided on my next move.

"Use Nasty Plot."

Nasty Plot is a move that makes a pokemon stimulate its brain and think something lew- Er.., evil thoughts to sharply raise its special attack. 

"Playing defensive, huh? Well then-"

The devil narrowed her eyes thinking about what to do next. After a few seconds, she made her next move

"Let's go, Use Taunt."

Toxicroak taunted Ambipom into using only attack moves. In this situation, Ambipom can't use Nasty Plot due to Toxicroak's Taunt. While forcing Pokemon to use only attack moves is a nice plan, there are some flaws with this tactic. And so, I decided to go for the offense right now.

"Shock Wave"

Ambipom began generating bolts of electricity and then quickly strikes Toxicroak with a quick jolt of electricity. This attack never misses. 

"Arrghh!"

Looks like I landed a critical hit, huh? After a few seconds, Toxicroak eventually fell down and fainted. After confirming, the teacher announced.

"Toxicroak is unable to battle. Ambipom wins. Therefore, the match goes to Ayanokouji Kiyotaka"

Announcing that the battle has finished, students went their separate ways. I held my Poke Ball directing at Ambipom. The devil did the same.

"Nice work, return"

"You did well, Toxicroak"

Ambipom went back to its Poke Ball and placed it in my pocket. Afterward, she approached me with a glare.

"Tch, I would have wanted to have a little of your time if your Ambipom didn't rush at my Pokemon."

"You started attacking first! and If I refuse your invitation?"

"Well, even though you have no right to veto such a decision, I suppose I would be exceptionally displeased."

She continued, "And when I am displeased, then I will prove a major obstacle to your school life, Ayanokouji-kun. For example, I might set a great number of thumbtacks on your chair. Or, when you go to the toilet, I might splash water on you from above. Or stab you with the needle of my mathematical compass. Or command Toxicroak to 'Brick Break' you just like I was supposed to do earlier. Those kinds of obstacles, I suppose."

"That's nothing but harassment, or rather, bullying! And besides, the last two sound strangely familiar, because you've already stabbed me before, and broke my neck due to your Pokemon!"

I reluctantly sat up at my desk. A girl with beautiful, sharp eyes and long black hair that framed her face stared down at me. Her name was Horikita Suzune, a student of the Tokyo Metropolitan Advanced Nurturing High School, Class D, and my classmate.

Her partner Pokemon is the Toxic Mouth, Toxicroak. Its knuckle claws secrete a toxin so vile that even a scratch could prove fatal. Its chops hurt so much that if I hadn't put up some resistance, my neck might break.

"Don't worry. That was only a joke. I wouldn't splash water on you from above."

"What's more pressing are the thumbtacks and the compass needle! Look at this! There are still marks from when you stabbed me the last time! And my neck hurts like shit! Will you take responsibility if it scars me for life?" I rolled up my right sleeve and displayed my forearm to Horikita, so she could see the scars she'd left behind.

"Evidence?" she asked.

"Huh?"

"What about the evidence? Did you decide I'm the culprit without evidence?"

"So, I'm required to help you? I've thought on it again, and, after all, I—"

"Ayanokouji-kun. Would you prefer to regret while you suffer or regret while you despair? Which would you like more? Because if you refuse me and force my hand, it will be your responsibility."

I was stuck with Horikita's two completely absurd choices. It appeared she would not accept any delays. Though it was a mistake to make a deal with this devil, I gave up and obeyed.

"All right, then. What am I supposed to do?" I asked, filled with trepidation. Her requests no longer surprised me. While I certainly did like how this situation had turned out, the outcome is still the same but... I thought back to when I'd met this girl two months ago, on the day of the entrance ceremony.