The Handmaiden's Tale

Long ago, when European Royals grew bored with palace balls, they took a page from the peons and added some pageantry. Couture and canapé are just another Saturday night until you add a mask. But preparing for the ball is an event in itself. Which is why queens invented handmaidens.

Cat's POV:

"Excited for the ball Cinderella," Jo asked me as I got a table coffee order together

"Excited for the ball Cinderella," Jo asked me as I got a table coffee order together. Blair was hosting a masquerade ball and somehow Nate, Nick, and even Chuck talked her into inviting me.  "I don't know if I'm elated or gassy, but I'm somewhere in that zone. I can't believe the guys talked Blair into letting me come, I don't even know what to wear." I told her, feeling somehow nervous and excited at the same time.

"Well there's no need to fear, your fairy godmother is here." She told me. "What are you talking about?" I said laughing at how silly she was being about this whole thing, like she always got when it comes to parties. "The minute I heard about this ball I got you the perfect outfit. You can come by after your study date with Nate and I'll help you get ready." she told me. "It's not a date it's a tutoring session." I told her for the millionth time. As much as I was falling for Nate, I couldn't ignore the fact that he was already taken.

Nick's POV:

Nate and I got up and got ready to start the day. Just as we were getting ready to go downstairs and get something to eat, we heard Mom and Dad talking, well arguing was more like it.

"Damn it, Anne. I told you no starch." Dad said as he walked over to the mirror near the foyer. "Howard, we've been going to the same cleaners for 19 years. Your shirts are exactly how they always are. We both know this isn't about laundry." Mom said to him, trying to get him to calm down. "I'm sorry, but I need everything to be perfect at Eleanor's party tonight. I can't screw up." Dad told her, but something about the way he was talking felt off. Like it was more than just stress talking.

"Eleanor knows you're the best person to take her company public. She's going to pick you. Just show up and be yourself." Mom tries to reassure Dad and give him a kiss on the cheek, which Dad just brushed off. "I'll call you from the office. I gotta look over the proposal one more time." He said as he went to leave the house.

"Oh, hello." I heard Cat's voice say. I guess she was about to knock on the door when Dad opened it. "May I help you?" Dad impatiently asked her. "I'm Catherine Humphrey, I'm here for a tutoring session with Nate." she explained to Dad. "Come in, I've heard a lot about you." Mom said, as Dad just continued do leave. "Nate Catherine's here." she said as she lead Cat into the house. "Hey Cat," Nate said. "Hey Nate," Cat said back. If you looked at them and knew nothing about them, you'd think they were a couple the way they were staring at each other.

"Well, I'll leave you kids to your studying." She said as she left the three of us in the foyer.

Cat's POV:

After a couple of hours, studying turned into Nate, Nick, Chuck, and I becoming Mystery Inc. minus Scooby Doo as we began snooping through his father's office.