Chapter Twenty-Two: Caramel Popcorn

Yoongi: Emergency meeting in my office at three. I'm sorry I know it conflicts with your class schedule.

Taehyung stares at the text message, his leg bouncing nervously at his desk as he keeps an eye on the clock and students. After Jimin left, Taehyung switched back to teaching their letters and numbers, but now there is a dazed look in his eyes as he fights with the sharp anxiety tingling throughout his body. He takes a deep breath. Then another. And another, focusing on the air escaping from his airways and not on the overwhelming sense of dread. He knows his professor at the university is going to get pissed if he misses, but Taehyung can't just skip out on this meeting either. It's about Ian. He has to be there for him, and ultimately that child's well-being is far more important than one Chemistry lecture.

Taehyung opens his school email while watching the students out of the corner of his eye. He quickly types an email to his professor, his heart pounding nervously in his chest as he presses send:

Hello Professor Jun,

Unfortunately, I will be unable to make it to today's lecture. One of my students is having issues at home, and I have an urgent conference this afternoon to discuss it with the school and his guardians. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but if you can send me lecture notes, I would greatly appreciate it. Or I can ask my classmates.

Thank you.

Kim Taehyung.

The class bell rings loudly and Taehyung jumps in his chair, the sound startling him as all of his students stand and begin to put away their lesson books. Taehyung stands up as well, moving around the desk with a smile on his lips. Despite all that's going on, he still has to engage with his students.

"Have a good night everyone! Please don't push on the way out! I will see you tomorrow!" Taehyung calls out over the small chatter and giggles of the students.

Instantly all of them say, "Goodbye Mr. Tae Tae!" in a cacophonous shout that has Taehyung giggling softly. This happy call at the end of the day always lightens his mood, and hopefully, it makes the students feel just as good. He takes a few minutes to clean and sanitize the room before grabbing his bag and hurrying toward Yoongi's office. On the way, his phone vibrates, the small envelope notification popping up in the corner causing his anxiety to spike even more. He wishes desperately for a lollipop, yet if this is a meeting with Ian's mother, then he knows that wouldn't be appropriate. So instead he focuses on his breath and the sound of his shoes on the tile floor before opening up the email. The response from his teacher is very brief, and one he did not expect.

Attached are the notes. Good luck.

Professor Jun

He lets out a sigh of relief, each step lighter now as he scurries to Yoongi's office. Once inside, he sees Jimin playing with Ian on the sofa and Yoongi behind his desk typing vigorously at the computer. Yoongi offers a brief wave before going back to his work.

"Hi, Mr. Tae Tae!" Ian chimes and Taehyung gives him a big boxy smile and a wave.

"How are you feeling, Ian?"

"Much better! Mr. Min's couch is very comfy and I liked the muffin. It was yummy..." Ian says with a soft almost dreamy smile on his lips. It is the most relaxed Taehyung has seen him all day, and he quietly hopes that this good mood will last. Children should be happy.

"Well, I'm glad it was yummy!" Taehyung chipperly replies as he perches in a chair beside Yoongi's desk. He glances at the busy principal with a curious gleam in his eyes, yet Yoongi ignores him. He only acknowledges Taehyung when the curly-haired man peeks his head over the top of the large screen computer.