32. Their Story

RYLIE

THE AROMA OF my strawberry cheesecake prickled my nose as I took a good last bite out of it. It was pretty decent for a cheesecake, if I say so myself. It was a nice Saturday, around eight-ten in the evening the last time I checked, which just so happened to be when we got here. I would take out my phone and check again, but Mom had a strict rule that phones couldn't be out during dinner. That typically applied when we were at home, so I didn't know if I could try to sneak my phone out here at the restaurant. 

I wasn't going to try it this time, however. Mom seemed to be in a nice mood, and I didn't want to ruin it. She was in a salmon pink floral dress with matching hoop earrings. Her hair was straightened and wrapped into a high bun, topping the entire outfit off. It was dinner, so of course she would dress nice, but she didn't exactly know what she was getting into. Kaden hadn't yet proposed to her just yet, but I could tell he was nervous. At times, I saw him try to reach into his pocket to retrieve the ring case, but he resisted. He was probably trying to wait for the perfect time to do it. 

Dinner was great. In fact, it was at the same restaurant Elias, and I ate out at the day he won second place for his art contest. The same friendly waitress who served us on that day also served us today. When she first saw me, she winked, but didn't say anything. Mom didn't know that we ate out here, and I made plans to keep it that way. At least for tonight because it was her night. 

When the waitress rounded back to our table, Kaden fully paid for our entire meal, and we all prepared to head out. That was until he got up and stood before Mom, who was sitting down. Kaden knelt down before her on one knee, finally pulling out the ring case. He opened it, revealing the elegant ring inside. 

"Madeline Archer, I am extremely lucky to have you in my life. I knew that you were the one the moment we first laid eyes. I am deeply in love with you, and I want nothing but the best for you and your daughter," he proclaimed, snatching the attention from other nearby families and couples situated at other tables. "Will you make me the happiest man alive and marry me?" 

Mom's eyes widened in shock as her mouth dropped to her jaw. Tears began to stream down her face. "Yes, Kaden, yes!" 

She leaned down to kiss him on his lips before holding out her hand so he could put the ring on her finger. People nearby clapped for them, congratulating them and all. After giving my mom a warm, snug hug for what seemed like forever, Kaden approached me as I stood up and gave me a hug that lasted just as long. Everyone genuinely looked happy. My mom was happy, Kaden was happy, so I was happy as well. I've never seen my mom cry tears of joy so much, but it made me feel all tingly inside. Kaden himself looked like he was about to tear up, as well. 

It was an emotional moment for us all. Even the people in our surroundings took it to heart by congratulating as we walked past them. Once we were out of the restaurant, we situated ourselves in Kaden's BMW. For the entire ride home, the two flirted with each other back and forth. They couldn't get enough of themselves. It was sort of made me cringe to watch my mother act so flirtatious with her fiancé, considering that I was right there, watching and listening to them the entire time, but whatever made their boat float, I guess. 

When we arrived home, around fifteen minutes or so later, instead of just dropping us off and driving to his apartment complex, Kaden escorted us inside. Since they weren't glued to the seats of the car anymore, their flirting just got worse. Now, they were being extremely touchy with each other. 

"Get a room," I insisted with a grimace before climbing up the flight of stairs to get to my bedroom. Once I got there, I closed the door shut behind me and rummaged my phone out of my purse, texting Elias instantly afterwards. It turns out that he already texted me a sweet goodnight message because he knew that I'd be out to dinner and didn't know how long I'd stay out.