27. New Faces

RYLIE

I SMILED LIKE an idiot as I bolted through the doors of home. Everything felt so magical. Today was an amazing day and I was looking forward to many more days like this. My mom, who was in the living room while on her phone, could tell.

"You seem a little happier than usual," Mom raised an eyebrow as she turned away from her phone, gesturing to me to take a seat next to her. "What's going on?"

"You know what's going on," I began as I sat down. "I went on a little date. It was nice."

"Oh, really? Did he confess his love to you?" Mom persisted.

"He did . . ." I said as I clutched my fingers.

"Nice, but like I said, don't grow up too fast. I don't need any surprises coming from you anytime soon," Mom reminded sternly.

"I know, I know," I nagged, my brain automatically triggered. I knew exactly what she was talking about when she said "surprises". Did she actually think I'd start doing that so soon? It's barely been even thirty minutes since we officially started dating, however, Mom is just looking out for me, as any mother should.

The room grew quiet again. Mom's phone pinged, tempting her to check what notification was on it. Her eyes lit up as she turned to me. "Remember when I said that I would arrange a time for you to properly meet Kaden?"

"Yeah . . ." My voice trailed off, an eyebrow cocked. "Why?"

"It's because tomorrow, he's inviting us over for dinner at his place," Mom chirped. My mood was the complete opposite.

"He's probably going to order food and have us eat it or something," I insisted with a disapproving sigh. "Do we have to go tomorrow, though?"

"Yes, we have to," she cooed, her voice sounding as if I was a baby and she was putting me to sleep. She planted a hand on my shoulder. "Please just give him a chance. He's a really nice guy."

"Sure, whatever," I looked away as I crossed my arms. I still wasn't over catching Mom with her little boyfriend. Everything was a complete surprise—definitely not the good ones everyone decides to keep you from on your birthday.

I still didn't understand it. Is Kaden actually a nice guy like Mom continuously claims him to be, or is he not? Until then, all I have is to think about how dinner would turn out to be.

***

We were at an apartment complex in town the next evening, right near school, too. The apartment complex itself was modern-looking and looked as if it were a few years old. The exterior is painted various shades of brown on the outside. The inside, however, wasn't how I envisioned it to look like. The floors were tile, not the old store-like tile, but a new kind of tile that you'd see in one of those home shows where they transform an old house into something completely new.

Is this seriously where this Kaden guy lives?

As we unboarded the elevator, goosebumps began to crawl all over my skin, like ants. The fact that I'm wearing an entire sweater (a nice one my mom forced me to wear) did no justice. Fear rushed through my veins, not knowing what to expect or what was about to happen. It's safe to say that Mom's little boyfriend is a complete stranger. The time we met . . . didn't count.

"Madeline! It's so nice that you made it," Kaden cheered as the door of his apartment swung open. "You too, Rylie." He extended his arm so his hand could meet mine.

I decided to not be polite, so I shook his hand. His hands were warm and sort of soft. At least they weren't cold, because cold hands just give a whole different feeling, the one that gives you shivers.