12. Loosen Up

ELIAS

BY THE FOLLOWING week, the broad corridors of the school were filled with red and white decorations for the start of homecoming week. The cheerleading squad marched throughout the halls, the bows stuck in their hair glistened through the artificial light. Homecoming week was filled with various activities, like pep rallies and dances. I've never participated much in homecoming week, including the dances.

I've never had anyone to go to the dance with, other than just friends. I'm completely okay with it because school dances were never my thing. They've never caught my eye, anyway. Well, except for the dozens of glittery posters plastered on the plain porcelain brick walls.

"Rylie, look at this," I heard Nora gleam from a distance away, her hand nudging Rylie's arm. "The homecoming dance is on Friday. We should definitely check it out. It'll be so much fun!"

"No way. I don't like school dances at all. There's too many people there and all that jazz," Rylie persisted, her hand clutching the sleeves of her golden yellow sweater.

"Aww, that's fine. We don't have to go," Nora hid her disappointment through a smile before turning towards the direction of Cannon and I. "Hey, guys. Are you heading to the pep rally?"

"Yeah," Cannon answered blandly. "Even if it's gonna be kind of lame, it's better than being in class, I guess."

The main gym was just around the corner, so we filed behind dozens of other people heading in that direction. Roars and cheers were said among themselves as everyone piled through the doors that swung open and closed every second. The bleachers were already almost full, a few spaces vacant here and there. Because it would take forever to get to one of the top rows due to everyone getting situated, we settled towards one of the bottom rows towards the middle.

Principal Herrington gently removed a microphone from a stand towards the center of the gym, the microphone making a deafening screeching noise. It caught a lot of people's attention since a majority of people were lost into their phones, deep in conversation, or somehow multitasking between both. 

"Good morning, Eagles," the principal announced. "Welcome to today's pep rally and the start of homecoming week!"

A chorus of cheers and claps immediately started, lasting a good moment. Afterwards, Principal Herrington began to explain what would take place today. According to her, there will be a promotion for the school's football team, as well as the cheerleaders. There will also be a basketball game where anyone can participate after that.

"So, does anyone have any plans for homecoming week?" Cannon questioned curiously, a glimmer appearing in his eyes.

"Not really," Rylie and I somehow stated in sync.

"Yeah, same. I'm not going to the dance this year, but we could hang out sometime this week or something," Nora suggested, her fingers brushing on her sleek raven hair which was let down.

"We can hang out at my house today a few hours after school. I can order food and everything," Cannon offered.

"Sounds good," everyone but Rylie nodded.

"You don't want to come, Ry? It'll be fun," Nora insisted, her hand running through her friend's shoulders to massage them. "Please?"

The brunette paused, letting out one big sigh after. "Fine, I'll be there, I guess."

As soon as Cannon mentioned his house, my mind flashed to the several times I've gotten lost in there. He lives in a literal mansion with plenty of land surrounding it. I remember several occasions where I've gotten lost while finding the restroom—and that was just when I was little. His mother was nice enough to show me where it was and it turned out to be around the corner.