26. Revealed

RYLIE

MY ROOM WAS a complete mess. A mess that would take literally forever to clean up.

It was an unusually sunny, winter Saturday, a few pillow-like clouds dotted across the sky. I hadn't stepped outside yet, but judging from the leaves on the trees swaying back and forth from the view of my bedroom window, it's chilly. I, however, was warm by the comfort of my bed as Nora organized an entire outfit for me to wear for later.

Good thing we went shopping the other day for clothes. Nora basically picked them all out for me (with my approval, of course). She was convinced that they had variety, unlike all the clothes in my closet. She isn't wrong, though. All I have is hoodies, sweaters, leggings, sweatpants, and jeans. Since I'm going out on a date, it does make sense that I at least wear something a little different from my style.

"Ta-da! How about this?" Nora gleamed as she gestured to the beige cami dress she was holding up, alongside a white sweater to go under it.

"It's nice, I guess" I said with acknowledgement. Sure, a cami dress isn't exactly something I'd wear on a normal basis, but it did look nice. It was a simple dress, at least, rather than being an unnecessarily poofy ball gown.

"I'm glad. Go put it on," she beamed as she handed everything to me with care. I gathered the dress into my arms and settled towards the bathroom. I showered around thirty minutes ago, before Nora got here, so I was already freshened up. I made sure to shave my legs and unravel my curls, as well.

After I got my clothes on, I tossed the sweater and sweatpants I was wearing before into the laundry hamper in the corner. When I looked into the mirror, I realized that I looked presentable. I didn't want to put on any make-up or anything, so before I abandoned the bedroom, I sprayed perfume all over me, the sugary aroma prickling my nose.

"You look so beautiful, Rylie," Nora admired as her hands clasped together. "As always." 

"Thank you, Nora," I said as I grabbed my small, golden yellow purse (filled with many toiletries and my phone) and swung it on my shoulder. "Let's go."

Even though I still had the date to go to, it was still early. I agreed to go to Elias' award ceremony for his art contest. I didn't mind at all. It would be great if he won because I know it means a lot to him, since he wants to show his parents that he has potential to become a successful artist. I'm in for it all the way.

I already told Mom about going out to the ceremony and date before she headed out to work this morning, so I was good to go. Since she doesn't normally work on Saturdays, part of me was convinced that she was actually hanging out with that boyfriend of hers, but it doesn't matter. What matters is the fact that she still hasn't organized an occasion for me to properly meet him. It's possible that she's waiting for winter break, but I shook my head. Today is a big day and I shouldn't be thinking about this. I have two things to look forward to, so I should focus on them.

As I fastened my seat belt, I took a breath, hoping that I wasn't late. I took my phone out of my purse to check the time. It was five twenty-one, so the ceremony would start in about nine minutes. Yep, I'm running late. It'll take a few minutes to get to the arena, seven at most, so I may be on a good note.

The ride to the arena felt long. Nora spent the entire time raving about her Christmas wish list and accessories she's designed lately as I was slumped in my chair, tired of waiting. When we pulled up at the arena, excitement boiled through my veins. I could hardly contain it all.

"Thanks for the ride," I acknowledged as I stepped out of the car with one foot, the other following.

"No problem. Make sure you tell me everything," Nora prompted with a grin.