02. Memories

RYLIE 

THE PIERCING SPUTTER of Nora's car made me jump as I fastened my seatbelt, placing my backpack on the floor in front of my feet.

Her Toyota Corolla from maybe ten years ago sometimes made an ear-splitting sound while starting. It sort of sounded like a constipated goat trying to run a race . . . whatever that would sound like.

"You should try to get your car fixed. The engine sounds strange," I stated, grimacing at the screech the car made while Nora pulled away from the parking lot, steering past students who were in the way.

"I know, but it will cost me a fortune to get this fixed. I don't have the money for that, believe me," Nora chuckled, not taking her eyes off of the road ahead of her. "And since the car drives fine itself, that's all that matters, right?"

"Right," I said, clutching my fingers together.

"So anyway, what are you going to wear to school tomorrow?" Nora asked curiously, her face lighting up.

I clutched my fingers together while raising my eyebrows. I have no idea what I'm going to wear. I never do. When it comes to choosing something to wear for school, I always choose something random (just as long as it somehow matches, of course).

"I don't know . . . I haven't decided yet," I answered, glimpsing out of the car window. There were only trees, grass, and roads that led to the one we're driving on.

Nothing special.

"I can help you decide. If you don't have anything you want to wear in your closet, we can take a trip to the mall and buy you some clothes and everything one day!" She exclaimed, doing jazz hands with only one hand, the other on the wheel. "It will be awesome."

"That sounds great. But for tomorrow, I'll just wear a plain T-shirt and jeans." I stated with a shrug.

"Alright. That sounds simple, yet cute," Nora said before making a sharp turn towards my neighborhood.

She drove through a couple of streets in the neighborhood, steering around cars that stood in the way of the road. The car came to a gradual stop as it approached my house.

I unbuckled my seatbelt and picked up my backpack, gently swinging it on my shoulder. I opened the door and reached my feet towards the ground.

"Bye, Nora. I'll see you tomorrow," I smiled.

"Bye bye, Ry. See you tomorrow," she proclaimed.

I shut the door as she waved at me before pulling off. I trudged through the driveway to the front porch. I pulled my house key from the side pocket of my backpack and stuck it inside the keyhole, twisting it after.

The door opened a few seconds later. I gently pushed it open and went inside. I closed the door shut behind me. Before I could go anywhere, I was stopped by something fuzzy.

It was Cookie.

She snuggled herself against me as she meowed. I bent down on the floor and petted her head with caution. I rose back up as Cookie laid down on her cat bed near the door.

"Mom, I'm home!" I called out, marching through the foyer to the living room.

Mom laid on the couch, scrolling through something on her phone while watching a Real Housewives spin-off on TV. As soon as she saw me, she placed her phone on the accent table in front of the couch and plastered a smile across her face with a gleam in her eyes.

"Rylie, you're here. How was your day at school?" She asked as her face lit up.

"It was fine," I replied bluntly.