Chapter 71

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wendy quickened her pace as the clouds began to gather in the sky. Up to now, the sky had been postcard-perfect, but it was changing. The beautiful cocktail-blue shade was beginning to darken into gravel-grey. Large pillows of cloud were forming, blotting out the old-gold colour of the sun. They got the first splatter of rain when she was halfway across the meadow. She took shelter under an old oak, hoping that she could see out the shower. Droplets of moisture began to drip from the leaves. They were sprinkling onto the grass like a gardener's house. Then the rainfall became more intense.

People ran for cover outside and umbrellas were opened as the clouds spat out their beads of water. Puddles began plinking as the rainfall became heavier. The roofs of the cars danced with spray and she could hear the murmuring of the rain as she finally found shelter in Building B. It sounded like the buzzing of angry bees.

She took a deep breath, straightening her hair and fixing her outfit before she reached the dormitories.

The place wasn't as loud and exuberant anymore. If anything else, it was the most silent Wendy had seen it in the 10 years she'd been at this school. No excited students walked the halls, joking and laughing, she couldn't hear any lockers opening and closing with loud clanks nor the sound of boots and heels clicking against the marble floor.

The only sound she could hear was her heavy breathing and the thundering rain now falling outside. And then finally, she reached the specific dorm she had struggled to reach for the last five days consecutively.

"It's okay I can do this," Wendy mumbled to herself encouragingly as she walked back and forth at the door of Got7's dorm in Majestic Academy.

She took a few deep breaths, her fingers fidgeting as her heartbeat rose from nervousness.

"It's okay Wendy. Calm down, think rationally." She stopped moving, standing right in front of the door. She raised her hand to knock however just as she was about to the door opened, making a clanking sound as it did, and there stood in all his glory the one man Wendy was terrified of seeing.

Mark Tuan.

"I- Wendy- I didn't know you were–" he stuttered, looking behind and around him as he pointed here and there aimlessly.

"Oh, I, um, well I came here to talk to you," she managed to say. He shook his head, trying to pull himself together before saying, "Do you wanna come inside? All my members already left for classes so it's empty." He stepped aside and hesitantly Wendy made her way into his dorm.

She had been here before, on the occasion of the few secret parties that had been held here for students. But it wasn't so often she got to see the place empty and clean, without the vulgar smell of alcohol encompassing the room or the hoard of students that chatted and danced along with the music.

"You can sit wherever you like," he said in his deep voice. Nervous, she awkwardly sat on one of the many navy blue sofas that were present all around their living room.

"Do you want like some water? Or maybe something to eat perhaps?" He asked, towering over her with his tall physique.

"Um, actually no. I wanted to talk to you about something. I wanted to talk to you about us." For a moment, the air in the links got sucked out, like a vacuum drawing out all the air within her. She couldn't breathe for a second.

"Oh... Oh yeah, I guess you have to talk about it." He sat down on the armrest of a single navy blue sofa in front of her and rubbed his neck awkwardly.

"Mark, look, I'm not sure what-"

"Look, Wendy, you dont have to say anything. You dont owe me some apology or excuse. If you dont like me, that's fine. You dont need a reason for liking or not liking someone. It's natural and it happens." He smiled at her as she gaped at him with an open mouth.