Rose stared at him."But.. the others call you 'his highness's Wizard'. If it makes you so ill, then why-?"

Ventane shook his head, "The things I do for the court, they aren't really what you would consider real magiks. They are merely tiny scraps of reality that I can piece together for their pleasure. It's a very simple trick that even the most basic of our kind can do.. my being a Wizard makes it easier, because I can put a little bit of real magiks into it, and make it a truly spectacular thing." he paused, leaning in to come face to face with Rose, "The secret is to only use a tiny portion of Magiks at a time. It's like..." he paused again, thinking for a moment, "It's like cutting a strand of hair.. it's there, and it grows strong, and then you cut it a little bit, trim it for use..." he took his other hand, bringing it between them and twisting his fingertips together,  "Something like making a flower, or a firework.. That's like a very tiny thing.. I know I can do it, and I know how small it is, so it doesn't bother me." He sighed, and shuddered for a moment, "But when I'm like this, creating something even so small is a very big thing. I used up as much Magiks as I could be allowed to call on to fight His Highness's own Magiks and allow you to see your friend."

Rose tried not to allow herself to gasp at the thought of being the cause of Ventane's illness. She put her hands in her lap, and clutched them together.

Something soft and glowing brushed past her face.  Rose smiled softly at the tickling sensation and then brushed it aside. As she did, the little jewel that Ventane gave her brushed against her cold skin, reminding her that she had just been in the snow.

But it was warm.

Rose looked back to Ventane, "What is this?" she asked softly, lifting the chain so that Ventane could clearly see what she was referring to.

Ventane looked at Rose.  "It's a charm... so that I always know that you are safe." he said gently, "I cannot always be with you, but I want to be certain that you are always protected."

Rose blushed even deeper.

Looking away, Ventane made a gesture with his hand. A book came to his beckon, and landed softly in his lap.

"You said I was trapped here." Rose said suddenly, "What were you telling Tilly about? You said that you knew a way to let me go back." She jumped back to the question that was weighing so heavily on her mind now.

Ventane's face grew dark, "You must never mention such a thing." he said quickly, his voice hushed, "Never, never think about it until the time comes that I come to get you. If She were to find out that I was tampering with the magiks that surround the palace..." he didn't bothering telling Rose exactly what would happen, but the implications were enough.

Rose nodded solemnly.

He opened the book, and pointed to an image on the page that he opened to. “Do you know what this is, Lady Rose?” he asked.

She shook her head. The symbol’s meaning eluded her.

“This is what a spell looks like when it’s on paper.” He whispered, “this is the spell we are going to use to help you escape.”

There was a rapt on the door.

"Lady Rose?" It was a voice that Rose didn't recognize immediately. She shook her head, trying to clear all the stray thoughts away as Ventane had commanded. Especially those that had to do with escape!

"y-.. yes?" her voice cracked.

"Is His Majesty's Wizard feeling better? His Highness says that he must see him immediately."

Rose looked at Ventane. The blood fell from her face in a sudden rush.

Ventane looked towards the door, "I will be up in a moment, Lady." he called. His voice sounded much stronger now that he had rested for a few moments.

He looked at Rose, and touched her hand gently. "No matter what happens, you must always trust me, Lady Rose." he said softly.

Rose nodded her head slowly. She watched him as he took a deep breath and shut his eyes. Suddenly it seemed as though all the little floating lights in the room were focused on only him. His hair became light again, his skin took back the original healthy look that it should have had to begin with...

When Ventane opened his eyes, they had returned to the glimmering green that they had been when they first met.

Rose stared at him. "Magic?" she asked.

Ventane shook his head, "Glamour." he confirmed.

Rose knew at least what this was through the old stories that Tilly used to tell, so she didn't inquire any further. She also didn't want to know if the Elven King would be able to see through this fallacy or not.

As Ventane led Rose down the hallway, he appeared just as healthy as he always had, though some of the faerie folk looked at him twice before moving along. They never said anything to him, but Rose got the distinct impression that they could see through what she, herself, could not.

However, she didn't leave his side. Upon coming to the doors to the Grand Hall, Rose suddenly got a little dark stone in her stomach. Something wasn't right. She froze for a moment, looking at Ventane, who still had her arm.

"Lady Rose?"

She hesitated.

He smiled gently at her, "Trust me.” He whispered.

So Rose let go of her fear, and walked into the Grand Hall with him.

For only the second time since she arrived in his Palace, Rose saw the Elven King. He sat upon his throne looking positively livid. His cool calm face was still the same as it had been before, however now the corners of his mouth were drawn tight, and his eyes seemed to be aflame.

“There has been a breach against the magiks that I have guarding my Palace, Wizard.” He said firmly and none-too- accusingly, “There are a very few people who can do this. I want to know who did.” He leaned forward in his throne, “and I want them punished.”

Ventane nodded, and bowed low. “Highness, I have already found the breach.” He said in a firm voice.

For a moment, Rose felt her breath catch. Surely he wasn’t about to tell the King that HE had been that breach himself! She stared on in horror as the next few moments played out.

The Elven King looked at Ventane and smiled thinly, “I knew I could trust you to keep an eye on the magiks around the Palace, Wizard. Bring me this person at once.”

Ventane stood, and grabbed Rose roughly by the arm, “But I already have, Highness!” he shoved Rose out to the Kings feet, “Your Honored Guest was the source of our troubles. She was meddling with Mortal Magiks within your walls.”

Rose couldn’t feel her body. It was as though she was having a nightmare from the third person. This couldn’t be happening! Ventane had told her that he was going to protect her! She felt the air push out of her lungs as she stumbled and hit the floor from surprise.

She looked back at Ventane, who had become cold and calculating in her eyes. He looked away from her face, turning back to the King.

“Highness, I have right to believe that she might have thought she had found a way to leave the Palace.”he said firmly.

Roses world began to fall around her, as she listened to Ventane speak.

The Elven King made a gesture with his hand, and Rose suddenly found herself yanked to her feet by a powerful, short and bearded man. Rose looked at him, her eyes darting around the room, as though it had suddenly shrunk to a tiny cell.

“Ven- Ventane....” she whispered.

‘Trust me.’

Her vision blurred as tears fell from her eyes. Ventane turned and walked away, gesturing for the Dwarf who had grabbed her so roughly to bring her along.