It Takes Time

Rose sat in the middle of her bed. She looked at the door that had been locked firmly as soon as she had been thrown inside. Her window was closed firmly, locked from the outside.

If she had been a prisoner before, now she was something much, much worse.

She fell over into the blankets and sobbed into a fistful of them. Tilly curled up against her, and purred softly.

Her long hair tickled Rose’s ear, making her shudder. She batted the little Trepinair away, and continued her cry.

Why had he done this to her? Why had he betrayed her like this?

She sat bolt upright, grabbing the tiny jewel around her neck. She looked at it.

Narrowing her eyes, Rose yanked the delicate chain from her neck and raised her hand to throw it across the room. She froze when Ventane seemingly appeared from nothingness in the middle of the room.

She stared at him and gulped down her bitterness and anger.

“You... you...” she stammered.

Tilly ruffled beside her, hair raising on it’s little body. She growled.

Ventane walked towards Rose, calmly, gracefully, floated to her.

Rose threw the jewel at him. He paused as it hit the floor.

Trust you.” She spat, “You... you bastard... You told the King that I was the one who caused that magic stuff!”

Ventane made a slight gesture with his hand and the jewel lifted from the floor. It dangled in the air for a moment, before Ventane took it in his hand. It rested in his palm. He looked at her.

Rose had opened her mouth to say something, but she shut it quickly when she saw the look on Ventanes face. She dropped her arm on the bed, and glared at him in silence.

He drifted over to her. Stopping at the end of the bed, he leaned over. Rose realized a moment later that he had actually floated onto the bed. He was sitting on his knees before her, and holding his hand out.

“Don’t refuse my heart, Lady Rose. I promise I would protect you. This is the only way to be sure that She does not come to see that you stay from her way.” He said gently. Gently rotating his hand, the jewel lifted from his palm, and dangled before Rose.

She looked at him. Her eyes were red. Her hair was mussed. She was angry, bitter, frustrated, and worn down.

And he was offering her this simple jewel and a promise of his protection. Was that why he had only made her imprisonment in this place even worse?

Ventane reached out and the jewel replaced itself around her neck.