The call for Supper

As he felt his body disappear from her room, he concentrated on his own quarters. Stepping into the dimly lit room, Ventane reached into a small cupboard and pulled out a pair of slippers for Rose to wear.

‘She was trying to get comfort, and you frightened her, you idiot!’ he thought, frowning to himself, ‘It’s not like I intended to do that, but it certainly came out that way. The poor girl must think I’m as bad as Erol.’

Rose looked at the window. Night had definitely fallen and she could hear an eerie sort of music drifting in through her window.

Wild laughter caught her attention, as she slipped from her bed, and walked to the window. The curtains billowed about her as though they were a fog. She stepped forward into them, and stared at the sight before her.

From high above the moon shone down, glowing in a sort of forgotten glory. And below the moon, in the garden where she and Ventane had walked earlier, there was a singular figure.

A woman stood in the middle of the garden, dancing wildly in a midst of twinkling lights. She was singing and laughing. Her hair flew wild about her body, and wrapped up upward as though the wind were blowing from below. Her wide hips swayed to and fro as though she were dancing to an unheard drum.

Rose stared. She had never seen a more proud woman in her life. She was tall, and lithe, and practically glowed power. It took Rose a moment to realise that she was wearing a silver ring over Ivy against her forehead. She gasped.

'Oh.. the Queen.' she thought.

It is the Queens time.

Ventane stood straight up as alarm filled his body. The girl was in the garden. The magiks in the Palace were swimming and moving about in a dangerous way. As he swore to himself, he dashed back to her room, forgetting for the moment that he could apear at will.

Rose blanched suddenly. Oh, Ventane had told her not to be here at night! She made to step back, putting her arms behind her, but her legs would not move. Rose gasped, trying to turn, but she found herself frozen in place.

The woman stopped dancing. Her back was to Rose. She tilted her head in the general direction that Rose was in.

She spoke in the language that the Elven King had spoken in before. She turned slowly in Rose's direction. Rose looked down at her legs. They were cold and weak. The robes that she had been given were turning silver and hard. Panic welled inside, as she looked up in fear as the woman turned around and made to look her directly in the eyes.

Blood red filled her view from the woman. Rose opened her mouth to cry out, but no sound came forth.

Reaching the girls door, he nearly yelped at the shocking power he could feel from within. The Queen had found herself another victim.

‘I cannot allow it!’ he thought, bursting into the room.

Staring at the sight before him, he could see the vines from the garden touching the young womans skirts, binding her down.

Throwing himself in front of Rose, he felt the power of the Even Queen touch him for but a moment.

Rose’s vision of the blood red that had filled her was broken by Ventanes angry face suddenly flooding her view. His emerald eyes were burning with a passionate rage, and his honey coloured hair was almost floating about him. His lips were curled back, "I told you not to venture into the garden after moon rise, Lady Rose!" he barked, pushing her roughly back into the room, "Do not allow your mind to wander into the way of Her Highness!"

Rose fell backwards. She slid across the polished marble floor. Ventane suddenly looked much more intimidating than friendly. He was down right frightening with his glowing emerald eyes. Rose cried out in fear.