23. the last good thing

Start from the beginning

Just in time, Wolf ran up from behind, pinning her to the floor. I wasted no time getting the antivirus to her as a rope suddenly landed around my waist.

Not just any rope. Wonder Woman's lasso had fastened around my waist. With a single tug I was flying towards her as she drew her fist back angrily; but before I could make contact a blue bubble formed around her. Her fist met with the force field and so did I.

I landed back down on the floor, rubbing my head.

"Can she escape your force bubble?" Birdie asked Rocket.

"Not if she keeps punching it. The kinetic energy only makes it stronger, but I'm stuck here. Anything I do risks freeing her."

Like Batman who had leapt at Rocket from above. "Look out!" I cried, tackling him from the side before he could reach her.

We tumbled to the ground near Wonder Woman and instantly a foot met with the center of my stomach. It launched me backwards, but I managed to land on my feet next to Birdie.

The two of us looked up to see Bats watching us, cracking his knuckles.

"Oh that can't be a good sign," I grimaced.

"You know how I told you not to get too violent when you fight?"

"Yeah."

"Let's ignore that statement for now."

Hearing Birdie say that made me feel like a kid in a candy store. I disposed of the mace, trading it in for my bo staff instead as a smile grew on my face.

I charged without hesitation, but Bats was just as quick as I was. He deflected each swing in perfect timing. Even with the help of Birdie we were no match.

He dodged the swing of my staff again, locking it under his shoulder as he maneuvered it out of my grasp. Then my jaw was struck by an uppercut that threw me back into Birdie before we fell through the massive crater left in the floor by the Supers.

Boy Scout was already on the floor next us by the time we landed.

"We're not gonna beat them one on one," I pointed out, wiping the drop of blood falling from my nose and slamming my hand against the floor to pop my shoulder back into place.

"Plan B, then."

Boy Scout grabbed me by my arms, spinning to swing me through the air before launching me up at Bats and Superman who were heading out way.

My feet caught Bats by the chest, pushing him into the wall before we broke into a brawl midair. In our messy descent, I managed to place a cure on his neck and the boys were able to take advantage of Superman's distraction.

Bat's hit the floor first, already unconscious. Then I hit the floor next to him. I didn't get up right away. Instead I laid in my place, catching my breath.

I patted Bruce's limp hand. "Fair play, Bats," I panted.

"Kryptonite hurts," Boy Scout groaned.

"Which is why Batman keeps it in an overwhelmingly impenetrable vault at the Batcave."

"More like a whelmingly penetrable vault," I groaned getting back to my feet.

"You alright?" Boy Scout asked me.

"Yeah," I waved it off, though I was still holding my side, "I've had worse."

Wonder Woman was the last Leaguer, but M'gann managed to place her in a calm enough state for us to get a cure on her neck. By the time we arrived in the main room again, Tornado was the only one present.